icon

2001 mustang and viper 5901

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smartninja 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

I am going to install the viper 5901 on my 2001 ford mustang v6 3.8L. My car has been driving me crazy since it doesn't have keyless entry or an alarm system. I just finished installing a high end stereo system by myself and I want to protect my investment.This is going to be my first intall and I have prepared as much as I could by searching in this forum but I still have a few simple questions.

Are there any modules like an xpress intall kit that would simplify installation, and which bypass module do I need to get? Are there any other items that I need to purchase to install the viper 5901. Also I have read about some people using diode isolate, is this thing only needed when installing the window module or would I need to get diodes for my install? If so, what kind and where do I get them.  Thanks.

smartninja
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  

Hooking up alarms requires much more skill than installing sound systems.

By the questions your asking you should have this done at a shop. If you insist on trying it yourself then we are here to help as best we can.

The only module for this is the PATS bypass module. I think its easier to remove the chip from your key and remove the PATS transponder ring from the ignition harness and affix the chip to ring. Everyone else on this site will disagree with me but it should only be done if your are a seasoned alarm installer

go to this website and sign on to get the wiring info for your car http://techservices.codesystems.com

I say forget the window modules. Your a/c will kick in when you remote start

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with topinstaller, pull the chips from ALL of your keys, otherwise they will go out of synch, also get this done professionally, your questions tell me you shouldn't try it.
smartninja 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

I just started doing the install and I realized that the output for the door locks on the viper unit is negative while the wires on the diagram are positive, I checked the wires with the multimeter to make sure and they are positive.

My question: Is there another wire that I can connect the door locks that receives a negative signal or will I have to use a relay to convert the signal to a positve one. If a relay is needed, what kind, where to get. Do they have them at RadioShack, I bought some diodes but I didn't check to see if they had relays.

smartninja
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

Look for a SPDT relay. Almost any auto parts store should have relays. You will need diodes if you are using independent door triggers rather than the domelight. As for a bypass, I would suggest an idatalink ads-tb, rather than "pulling the chips" and bypassing the PATS...which IMHO, is just plain lazy.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Or a DEI 451 for the locks, it plugs into your alarm, also Mikvot, my comment about pulling the chips was related to the lack of compatible by-pass units here, and the fact that most of the security we install in Europe is to UK Cat l with 2 x immobiliser circuits, thus the vehicle is still (but agreed less) secure.
Incidentally, I've only ever worked a 2005 Mustang (don't exactly sell here when a BMW 330/335 walks right over it) and that had neg locks, but then they chopped and changed the lock triggering here as well, also first poster, the diodes would be with reference to the door triggers, not the locks, look up the DEI 1076 diagramme on this site, it explains what you have to do.
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  

You do NOT need relays for the door locks. Vipers blue wire is Lock(+) green is Unlock Positive

You only need a relay for trunk pop and one for Domelight Supervision

Use the ALL door trigger wire and you wont need diodes for the individual door triggers

You can get away with using only 1 diode for the trunk trigger. Tap into the BROWN / WHITE directly at the GEM module, then go to the trunk light and cut the (+) lead to trunk light and install 1 diode. This prevents the ground backfeed from travelling thru the bulb filament when GEM shuts down power

Also, mikvot was right about module, I was just proposing a cheaper , effective way to override your PATS system. At one point, for about 1.5 years, there was no modules availible to installers and when they did come out with them the customers had to donate a key to be installed in a 556U. Now the customer had to go purchase another key to have as a spare for a couple hundred bucks. Sometimes the customer only had 1 key.

End result, it is much easier to install a module that cost you $50+. Personally, I have no intention of making Fortin, I-Datalink, and the such any richer. I would rather save the customer money and put the extra bucks in my pocket.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

The signal on the 5901 is negative! You would need two relays or a 451m from dei!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
t&t is right! They stopped flip-flop lock outputs about a year ago. Look at the install instructions with your unit.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

If you have two working non-clone keys (needed to program the bypass module), a bypass module is the way to go.  Here is a link to a nice unit for a fair price:   https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~121849~PN~1

Here is a link to a relay diagram for your  (+) door locks with a (-) output from the Viper.   https://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#3wp

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic