icon

how to convert volts into amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
im wiring two devices to my car a voice recording module and a standard ipod/mp3 player docking station and one takes a 9v battery and the other takes 4 aaa batteries. this adds up to 9v and 6 total . which would be the correct amperage to put them at. my guess is 5a fuse . thanks guys
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
The device determines the amp draw, and the fuse is to protect the wiring. Wire gauge determines the fuse size.
You can't just wire in a 9v and 6v device to 12v on the car. Do these devices have cigarette adapters or how do you plan to wire them to the car?
You may be able to get away with wiring them in series since the total voltage is 13v but I am not sure that is even a good idea.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Ok here's how I was Planning to do it .I got a voice recorder from radio shack and I wanted to amplify it so I got a simple set of mp3 player speakers rated dc 9v. So I was going to wire the speakers into the voice recorder to make it louder. I was going to use 16 guage wire and a inline fuse To the fuse box. No the dont have cig chagers but the speaker set has a 9dc connection and it plugs to a usb so I can plug into the wall or pc. also use a trunk pin so when the trunk opens the recorder would say "trunk open" .now i could use batteries on these items but I rather have it wired to the car so I don't have to replace batteries. Let's say I use batteries would the trunk pin cause a problem being bolted to the car.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2102855
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

As was mentioned, you cannot safely power a 9 volt device directly from your car's electrical system.  You will need a DC to DC power converter that will generate the 9 volts you require.  Go to Radio Shack and ask if they sell a car power adapter for your recorder

And there is no way to "convert volts into amps."  They are two different things.

Support the12volt.com
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Understood however I wanted to have a trunk pin switch I want to control both of them can I safely do that and use batteries for the device's. The recommended batteries
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
still_walkin - I suggest you draw a diagram showing your plan.
If you connect your 6V & 9V devices to 12V, you will probably destroy them (you need a voltage converter).
And what is required to make <whatever> announce trunk_open? (Can you trigger it, or you merely power it up?)
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to power the devices with the batteries it was designed for . I'm just going to use a trunk pin to trigger it to come on/off when the trunk opens. Ill post the diagram later
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Use the trunk pin to complete the device's power circuits.
IE - connect each battery -ve to the wire side of the pin and the device "ground" to the vehicle ground.
Assuming all devices are -ve ground there should be no issues.
The alternative is to have the trunk pin energise a relay that closes the power circuit for the devices - ie, SPST or DPST (DPDT).
(Or powers the voltage converters that power the devices, hence they will not need batteries.)
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
When i read this topic heading, i thought i'm in for a totally sarcastic, critical read! LOL!  Guess i was kinda dissapointed! how to convert volts into amps -- posted image.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah - I thought I'd make a fortune selling one of those voltage to current converters. (Cheaper than "smart" battery and voltage sensing isolators, dc-dc battery chargers, etc.)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic