icon

97 jeep grand cherokee, system wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtcrssbig 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have a pioneer cd player with one set of rca jacks. i have it hooked up to a kenwood amp that has no possibilities of connecting a universal bass controller. all bass controllers i have come by requires connection of rca's to the headunit and the amp.
if i bought 2 of these 2-channel male to female rca y cable's like the ones in the link below....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-+X-Series+3.3%27+2-Channel+Male-to-Female+RCA+Y-Cable/9925426.p?skuId=9925426&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9925426&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218195829912
could i connect the rcas from my amp to one end of one of the splitters and the other set to the universal bass controller? (below is a universal bass controller example.
http://www......com/item_10092_Scosche+RLC.html
im amateur at all this and im not sure if doing this with the rcas will mess up anything considering sound and performance.
thanks if your reading this and replying
-Dane
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
and i have a 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo. not sure if that applies
-Dane
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Your link is not allowed to work here.  I can only imagine that the following product is what you are trying to use.  This device connects in the RCA cable between the radio and the amp.

97 jeep grand cherokee, system wiring -- posted image.
Part Number: LC-1
Category: Audio Interfacing
Description: Remote Level Controller

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  

Run a short set of rca's into the uni bass remote input and then your existing rca's into the output of remote into the amplifier input.

Chadillac
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Chadillac, i never even thought of that.
-Dane
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
hi, i have a 1997 jeep grand cahrokee laredo, and i have a Kenwood KAC-8104D Class D Mono Power Amp- rated 1000W, and CEA Rated: 300W (1.0% THD+N) (4Ohm/1Ch)
CEA Rated: 500W (1.0% THD+N) (2Ohm/1Ch)
and 2 Kenwood KFC-w2512 subwoofers rated at 4ohms 1000W and 300W RMS.
the manual for the amp: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Consumer/Manuals/kac8104d.pdf
the manual for the subs: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Consumer/Manuals/kac8104d.pdf
i have a few questions.
first off how should i wire these subwoofers? because on page 4 of the amp manual you can see that there are 2 channels even though its a mono amp. i was told by kenwood to hook them up like it is shown by the illustration on page 4, but i was told by a audio installer to wire them in a parallel as shown in the first picture in the link below,
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=41#results
and the last two sets of subs i got from kenwood have become partially blown, and ive needed to send them back and they sent me new ones. so im wondering how i should wire them, so they sound great and hit hard, and so i will not blow them, EVER AGAIN.
ALSO
i currently have 16 gauge wire hooked up from the sub to the box and from the box to the amp no less than 3 feet away. i was thinking that maybe this could be part of the problem and i was wondering if
the 12 gauge wires (in link below) would work for replacing all those wires i mentioned.
http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3113§ion=four
-Dane
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp is a one channel amp, it just has 2 positive and 2 negative terminals.  They are connected together inside the amp.  There are 2 of each only for ease of connection. 
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Okay thank you, any more information about the other things would be great
-Dane
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
KAC-8104D Class D Mono Power Amp- rated 1000W,
CEA Rated: 300W (1.0% THD+N) (4Ohm/1Ch)
CEA Rated: 500W (1.0% THD+N) (2Ohm/1Ch)
so since its one channel, i should wire for 4 ohms? so the rms wattage is at most 300, because my subwoofers can only handle up to 300W RMS.
or does that number get divided by two because i have 2 subwoofers? so at 4ohms (just positive to positive and neg to neg like the manual says) i would be running 150W RMS?
and if thats the case should i just wire at 2 ohms (wired in a parallel), where 500W is split in half and each sub gets 250W RMS?
-Dane
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

2 4Ohm drivers connected in Parallel will yield a 2Ohm load.  The amp will produce 500 watts, each speaker will see 250.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic