icon

97 jeep grand cherokee, system wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtcrssbig 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
take a look at this diagram below, its wiring in a parallel, but since "[My] amp is a one channel amp, it just has 2 positive and 2 negative terminals. They are connected together inside the amp. There are 2 of each only for ease of connection." how should i wire them into the amp? should i just use one of those connections?
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
-Dane
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2010 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

You can connect it as in that diagram, or you could connect one woofer to one set of terminals and the other woofer to the other set of terminals.  It makes no difference at all.  One to each set of terminals would fall under the "ease of connection" category. 

If you connect them as in your diagram, and get a different amp that will not run 2ohm mono, you will have to remove woofers from the box and rewire it.  If I build a box, there is one set of wires per voice coil coming out of the box.  If I ever have to change wiring configuration, I NEVER have to take a woofer out of a box.  If it were me, I would connect one woofer to one set and the other woofer to the other set.

mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
I thought the main difference in the wiring was that wiring as shown in my diagram (wiring in a parallel) would produce a higher RMS wattage to each subwoofer.
im just trying to get the best performance out of my subwoofers and make sure i dont have a repeat of partially blowing them.
my subwoofers are new and arent installed into the box yet, so thats why im asking.
as far as the wires im using:
i currently have 16 gauge wire hooked up from the subs to the box and from the box to the amp no less than 3 feet away. i was thinking that maybe this could be part of the problem of why they have blown (not sufficient enough wires for amount of wattage transfered) and i was wondering if
the 12 gauge wires (in link below) would work for replacing all those wires i mentioned.
http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3113§ion=four
-Dane
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
hi, i have a 1997 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo, and i have a Kenwood KAC-8104D Class D Mono Power Amp- rated 1000W, and CEA Rated: 300W (1.0% THD+N) (4Ohm/1Ch)
CEA Rated: 500W (1.0% THD+N) (2Ohm/1Ch)
and 2 Kenwood KFC-w2512 subwoofers rated at 4ohms 1000W and 300W RMS rated at 4 ohms.
the manual for the amp: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Consumer/Manuals/kac8104d.pdf
the manual for the subs: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Consumer/Manuals/kac8104d.pdf
i was told i can hook them up pos and neg to the terminals on the amp pos and neg and it would be the same as wiring in a parallel. BUT
I thought the main difference in the wiring was that wiring as shown in my diagram (wiring in a parallel)
would produce a higher RMS wattage to each subwoofer.
im just trying to get the best performance out of my subwoofers and make sure i dont have a repeat of partially blowing them.
my subwoofers are new and arent installed into the box yet, so thats why im asking.
HELP:
as far as the wires im using:
i currently have 16 gauge wire hooked up from the subs to the box and from the box to the amp no less than 3 feet away. i was thinking that maybe this could be part of the problem of why they have blown (not sufficient enough wires for amount of wattage transfered) and i was wondering if
the 12 gauge wires (in link below) would work for replacing all those wires i mentioned.
http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3113§ion=four
-Dane
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2010 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Should be fine.Use 2 equal lengths of 12g speaker wire going to each speaker
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
thank you! any suggestions for wiring them?
-Dane
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
hi, i have a 1997 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo, and i have a Kenwood KAC-8104D Class D Mono Power Amp- rated 1000W, and CEA Rated: 300W (1.0% THD+N) (4Ohm/1Ch)
CEA Rated: 500W (1.0% THD+N) (2Ohm/1Ch)
and 2 Kenwood KFC-w2512 subwoofers rated at 4ohms 1000W and 300W RMS rated at 4 ohms.
The Subwoofers are wired in a parallel, with 12 gauge monster subwoofer cables.
The Pro Installer took all my amp settings and maxed them out except the LPF frequency.
BOTTOM LINE IS THEY SOUNDED HORRIBLE.
I was told that the most important setting was the input sensitivity control (according to a tech over the phone from kenwood) which the pro had it set at max of .2V.
i have a pioneer head unit that has a 2V output.
What settings are most important in making sure my subwoofers do not blow?
And can anyone explain to me each of the settings that are listed on the amps' manual (the link is below) and tell me what they do, and if the if each setting is meant to be set by certain standards according to Volts and amps and what not, or if the settings rely on what sounds best by ear?
the manual for the amp: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Consumer/Manuals/kac8104d.pdf
-Dane
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
mtcrssbig 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
that really doesnt help me, but now i know what my LPF is used for.
-Dane
bowtie_65 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2010 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
mtcrssbig  where in NC are you? please step away from your jeep97 jeep grand cherokee, system wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.  turn everything down...then turn your LPF to around 120ish maybe a touch more depending on the type of music you listen to, then adjust the rest from there for loudness. If you play with the settings your head unit you can probly make yourself happy. your boost and gain can "blow" your subs
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic