icon

new system amp in protection mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2010 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  

ok guys heres the problem i have 2 alpine 6x9's wired to a audiobahn 2002t amp and when i had it wired up and turned on it made a poping noise and the amp flickered off and on protection mode. the rcas are new the speakers are newthe amp head unit is used but worked when i last installed it. i think i reveresed the polaties on the speaker wires can this make the amp go into protection mode. i also heard if the speaker is touching metal that can cause a problem.

to troubleshoot the rca when i uplugged the channel in question it went off protection mode and i tried both rcas in the working channel no issues but in the channel in question same result so i thinking the problem is from the amp to the speakers help would be great thanks 

1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2010 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

Connecting a speaker backwards will not damage an amplifier.

Connect the left speaker to the right channel of the amp and vice versa.  Does the same channel of the amp still have the problem or did it follow the speaker to the other channel?

If the same channel is still giving you trouble, there is a bad connection on one of the large emitter resistors that connect the output transistors to the speaker connection.

If the problem moves to the other channel.  You have a damaged speaker.

If it plays fine, you have a grounded speaker wire.  It was connected to a bridge wire earlier, but when you moved it to the other channel it is now connected to a non bridged wire. 

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2010 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
So I plugged a ipod up to the rca same chopping on the same channel so I unplugged The speaker wires and tested the speakers one by one by it works
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic