reverse camera setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chardc 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2010 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

I need to figure out which diodes I need (if any) to wire up a after market reverse camera to my Mitsubishi Lancer 05. The camera has a video output, and the power connector has two wires (red,black). My DVD players has a (orange+12v) backup car signal wire and the input for the reverse camera. Here is what I intend to do... wire the power connector for the camera to the reverse light at the back of the car which will provide power to the camera and run the orange cable to the reverse switch at the console where the gear stick is. With a setup like that, my camera will only receive power when the reverse lights come on and will initiate video at the same time when the orange wire receives the trigger. Does this make any sense or sounds like a mad man at work? nonethelss I would like to know if diodes are required.

PS. I have a Eonon 1202 DVD player.

ChardC
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2010 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
Spot on, no diodes required, if it's any easier join the camera's red wire to the orange at the gear lever reverse switch pick-up. I did that on my Galant, it was more convenient because I went through the centre console, thus one join instead of two.
vader1 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2010 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Spot on, no diodes required, if it's any easier join the camera's red wire to the orange at the gear lever reverse switch pick-up. I did that on my Galant, it was more convenient because I went through the centre console, thus one join instead of two.
Hi-
Just wondering if you could help me out with my Backup Camera;
I Have A 2000 BMW E46
I have a Pioneer AVH-P5900 DVD...
I have the PURPLE / White Wire from the Head Unit Connect4ed to the Reverse Light.
I also have the Video Input from the Camera connected to the Head Unit...
I have the Red 12v Wire from the Camera connected to the Head Units PURPLE / White Wire for the Reverse Light for power, when in Reverse.
I have the Ground Wire from the Camera connected to the Black Ground Wire from the Head Unit.
That Said:
When I First Turn On The Head Unit, I automatically See The Reverse Image From The Camera, (Ok, Fine!)
I have to hold the Display button down to switch back to the Head Unit Controls (As Stated In The User Manual), Ok Fine!
But when I am listening to any Source (Radio, DVD, MP3, CD), and I put the Car in Reverse, The Rear Image Does Not Show!!!!
Why??? And How Can I Fix This???
Thanks In Advance!
***VADER***
2000 BMW E46 5 Speed Sedan
chardc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Vadar1, I did some searching on your behalf and would like to know if the puple/white (+)  wire from the head unit was connected to the reverse signal  blue / YELLOW (+) wire of the BMW E46? Also, the camera video output rca jack is connected to the correct input of the Pioneer DVD player for reverse camera.

ps. according to the manual video switching is automatic once connected correctly, so when reverse is engaged the signal will be triggered on your PURPLE / white wire and change the display to the rear camera.

ChardC
vader1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2010 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
chardc wrote:

Hi Vadar1, I did some searching on your behalf and would like to know if the puple/white (+)  wire from the head unit was connected to the reverse signal  blue / YELLOW (+) wire of the BMW E46? Also, the camera video output rca jack is connected to the correct input of the Pioneer DVD player for reverse camera.

ps. according to the manual video switching is automatic once connected correctly, so when reverse is engaged the signal will be triggered on your PURPLE / white wire and change the display to the rear camera.

Hi-
Thank you very much for your help...
Yes! The PURPLE / white (+) wire from the head unit is connected to the reverse signal blue / YELLOW (+) wire of the BMW E46!
YES ALSO! The camera video output rca jack is properly connected to the correct input of the Pioneer DVD player for reverse camera (BROWN RCA JACK WITH LABEL STATING REAR VIEW CAMERA!
***VADER***
vader1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
chardc wrote:

Here Are Some Pics Of What My System Shows!
reverse camera setup -- posted image.
***VADER***
chardc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

Ok Vader1. Initially you stated "I have the Red 12v Wire from the Camera connected to the Head Units PURPLE / White Wire for the Reverse Light for power, when in Reverse." So that was incorrect, but you have it right now if you did connect it following the information provided above. Now the other step is to ensure the camera polarity setting is set to (+) from the Touch Camera Polarity option on the DVD Palyer - Pg. 47 on manual (this is what will cause the trigger). So pretty much when the dvd player receives the trigger it will switch automatically. If that does not help, you may probably require some additional help from a professional nearby.

ChardC
chardc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ps. Vadar - If you look at the first picture you posted, it has the camera polrity set to ground - this is incorrect since the trigger wire is (+), so you need to change it to battery.
ChardC
jaxon1023 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2010 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question also. I have my camera hooked to my reverse lights and all works well. I want to install a switch in the cab that will give the camera power when not in reverse. Do I just run 12v to a switch in the cab then run the wire back to the positive of the camera and put a diode in-between the reverse light and the power with the band facing the light or will I need to install a relay? Thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2010 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
To Jaxon, 12V+ to switch.
Switch output to 86 and 87
Ground to 85
Cut wire from rev lights to camera at relay location. Rev lights to 87a
Camera to 30.
Thus reversing lights won't come on.
You can possibly achieve the same result with two diodes, 1N5404 (3amp). in a Y pattern, in from the switch and reversing lights, bands towards the camera but I think a relay is safer long term.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic