icon

cap kills battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
 so this cheap cap keeps killing the car battery.  will a battery isolater fix my probelm? or can i fix it just with wiring changes? im using the cap as my power distribtion. any help would be great. thanx
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
cap kills battery? -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2010 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'll second that.
(As if expensive caps weren't bad enough! Now have cheap caps that kill batteries.... wth???!!! Maybe it's an inductor (from +12V to gnd)?)
66sportfury 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
why would a cap kill a battery? shorted? but then it should expand, like a over charged battery right?
ac delco am radio and sparkomatic 40 watt sound exploder
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Collapsed, leaking (electrically), partial short.
On other words it has failed and hence no point keeping it - it certainly isn't "holding up the voltage" like it's suppose to.
(I'm assuming the OP knows it is a failed cap that is killing the battery as opposed to over or under charging, faulty alternator, excessive discharge etc. He's was on the right track for the solution - namely an isolator, but in this case, one that does NOT reconnect the cap.)
Caps do fail - especially electrolytic types (which I presume car audio batteries to be).
Not that anyone here can explain why you would want to use a cap in a car or audio system (as compared to other solutions).
66sportfury 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
they are inexspensive, and easy to install. even though they not the smartest route but its even common for shops to recomend a cap. instead of up grading the alt,
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry - I didn't realise caps were cheaper than a $10-$20 AGM battery.
It makes you winder why they are so keen on them if they are so cheap - maybe they have a bigger profit margin on caps?
I saw a Stinger 1F or 1.5F advertised here for $450. LOL - you can get a yellow top for that!
But neither have anything to do with upgrading the alternator - well, not much anyway.
An alternator is generally upgraded if is isn't outputing sufficient power to charge the battery. Caps and (small) AGMs are not there to make up for those power shortfalls.
cachanilla 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
cap kills battery? -- posted image.

I never get tired of this! LOL 

I am an idiot; you are the man!

66sportfury 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

oldspark wrote:
Sorry - I didn't realise caps were cheaper than a $10-$20 AGM battery.
It makes you winder why they are so keen on them if they are so cheap - maybe they have a bigger profit margin on caps?
I saw a Stinger 1F or 1.5F advertised here for $450. LOL - you can get a yellow top for that!
But neither have anything to do with upgrading the alternator - well, not much anyway.
An alternator is generally upgraded if is isn't outputing sufficient power to charge the battery. Caps and (small) AGMs are not there to make up for those power shortfalls.

A battery is the same principle as a cap, they are just both Band-Aids for a charging system that cannot keep up the audio system,

And yes there is a big markup on caps.

At least there was when I was working car audio

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

I work in the oldest still in operation Car Audio shop in my town.  At one time we too jumped on the capacitor band wagon.  This was because at every car stereo competition, the judges were reccomending capacitors to every participant they judged.  They made these recconendations just as they have reccomended other things.  What the participant did not realize was the judge was actually a rep for a marketing firm.  And guess what, they just happened to sell Brand _____ capacitors.  They did not suggest that you buy their brand of capacitor, but they suggested them.  So the next day every kid at the contest would come in looking for a capacitor.  Some of the kids visited a shop that was supplied by the rep that was judging the contest.  Some visited other shops.  But at the end of the day, that rep increased his bottom line.  We sold them only briefly, once it was figured out that they DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve sound or increase sound pressure levels more than 1/1000th of a dB, we as a reputable stereo shop chose not to even sell them. 

We have had cars in the work area for a decent size system, 2 Bass amps, a 4 channel highs amp and then their friend tells them they need a capacitor.  They come in while the build is underway, we tell them that we do not sell them.  He asks why not, we answer: because they do not have any audible or electrical benefits for your system.  We really try hard to convince them, they usually go down the road and purchase one, then bring it to us to install in their car.  We do that then the very next morning, like clockwork, they drive into the parking lot and get out and are mad at us because their lights were dimming when the bass hits. 

I have no idea how much money we have lost out on by not selling them a capacitor, but we refuse to become part of the game that the reps have started. 

Another key part of the equation, the judges are always telling you that if your deck has __ volt preouts you will make more SPL.  Guess what they sell radios too. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic