icon

subwoofer advice.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
perfectcreature 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking into getting a new subwoofer. I have the JBL GTO 3501 amplifier. It will put out 360 watts into 2 ohms. I would like to know which subwoofer would be the best match to be efficient with the power that I am giving it to achieve a high SPL without sacrificing all of my SQL. I have a rather large trunk, and my car is fairly sound insulated between the trunk and the car due to a huge foam seat...
Also, which would be the best enclosure to put the subwoofer in, I was thinking of a ported box but do not know much about them, and will most likely buy stock...unless someone has a blueprint that is spot on to the subwoofer.
I understand from reading around a bit, that SQL is a matter of acoustics and so forth and varies on the application and a matter of other factors...but I just want a subwoofer that will not be sloppy is all, and will give me the most out of my amp.
Second is sound dampening. I do not want my trunk rattling like a tin can and my car sounding like it is falling to pieces, I was wondering if there are any cheap alternatives that I can use that will do the trick without spending big money on products such as dynamat. I have read in various other forums that people have had some luck with Frost King Foam Duct insulator, and was wondering if that would suffice by giving a few layers of it or if I should stick with the name brand stuff. Also, which would be the best area to cover to achieve the best and most cost effective results. I would imagine you do not have to cover your car head to toe in this stuff to get good results, so I would just cover the problem areas like the doors and the trunk and the firewall and the floor and such....but do I have to cover all of it or just areas.
If there is anymore information that I could give that would help further please let me know.
Also, thanks for your time and your response.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
What's your budget?  And when you say "most likely buy stock" do you mean purchashing a pre-fab enclosure?  That will never produce the best results.
Support the12volt.com
perfectcreature 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Stock as in the box, correct. I have never built one, although my father has the tools and a bit of skill so perhaps he could do it for me. The only hardware store I have is Lowes, and not sure if they carry quality MDF board.
If someone supplied the blueprints for a sub enclosure and all of that I would try to build it.
As for the budget aiming 200 for the subwoofer and supplies. Maximum would $275.
Thank you for your response.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
When you decide on woofers and are ready to let us know what kind of car you have, I am sure somebody could possibly give you some dimensions for an enclosure.
perfectcreature 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Well, my car will be changing next summer after I land my new job. So for now the car I am driving is a 1995 Buick Skylark 4 Door, 3.1 V6. Not sure what car I will be getting next summer but I am looking none the less. I am sure that throws a wrench in things....I will be getting a car though, not a truck. So the enclosure would have to be kind of universal...much like a stock one, that I could mod to fit perfect in the new car.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
When you decide on woofers, let us know.
perfectcreature 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about the RE Audio SRX12D4 subwoofer. I have tried to find reviews but they seem non-existent. Are there any people that would suggest an alternative to this subwoofer? Anything that would hit harder and play louder and cleaner? I do have a budget of about $200 for subwoofer and say...$75 for supplies...give or take.
Thanks so much.
perfectcreature 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
perfectcreature wrote:
I was thinking about the RE Audio SRX12D4 subwoofer. I have tried to find reviews but they seem non-existent. Are there any people that would suggest an alternative to this subwoofer? Anything that would hit harder and play louder and cleaner? I do have a budget of about $200 for subwoofer and say...$75 for supplies...give or take.
Thanks so much.
Edit-
I have changed my mind, after doing further research the RE audio subwoofer has conflicting specs between the box and the website I do not feel comfortable buying that subwoofer.
I will be getting this subwoofer instead.
JBL GTO1214D It has an Xmax of 14.5 close to the box rating of the RE Audio.
Sorry about the change. JBL Subwoofer
Anyway, does anyone have any box ideas? Thank you so much.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
you said you are looking for a NEW sub, do you have a subwoofer right now and you are just looking to change what you have? if so, what are you running right now?
the amp you have is fine but with that much power and the fact that your sub will be in the trunk, i wouldn't expect that much from your sub.
if you absolutely have to get a pre-fabricated box i would try to find a ported probox instead of a regular carpeted box. some of those use 1/2 inch mdf or 1/2 inch particle board and neither of those are any good for a subwoofer box. and many pre fab ported boxes are tuned somewhere between 45 hz and 50 hz so it makes them louder overall but you sacrifice being able to hit low low notes and usually makes them sound like doo doo, but everyone has their own interpretation of what sounds good so you might not mind.
perfectcreature 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
I am selling my old subwoofers and amp because I have had them for a few years. I was running two 10 inch sony xplods that got 250RMS (Kenwood 8104D) each in a sealed pre-fab dual box.
I imagine going to a much higher end sub will give me better results than what I had before. Or at least close.
Anyway. I have not bought the sub yet, and yes I am looking to a buy a new one.
I want to build a ported box tuned between 30-40 hz probably around 35 for a happy medium...and JBL recommends 34hz... They give a port diameter of 4 inch wide and 10 inch deep and a box volume of 1.75 feet ^3.
Also...what type of wood should I use for my box since you said MDF is crap...
I tried out Win ISD and put in my numbers for the JBL sub but did not understand where to go from there.
Thanks.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic