remote start inop on 2010 honda insight

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mally8033 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2010 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hello fellow 12volt comrades,

I seem to be encountering what I believe a by-pass module (PKALL) problem as the remote start function will not operate. I can however insert the key and place it to the ON position, then initiate the remote start function. It then will start but then dies after a couple seconds. This process will repeat 3 times and then the cycle will give a "Remote Start Error" on the 2way remote with no following error flashes from the parking lights.

I believe that my heavy gauge connections are set properly as it works with the key. I double checked the programming of the PKALL module, and it says that it's already programmed and then finishes with the 10 flash confirmation upon starting the car with the key.

I did try to program the virtual tach initially a few days ago, but I couldn't seem to get a successful LED confirmation. I also just tried to redo all steps again, but the LED does not illuminate as described in the installation manual; I assume it is already working? (Steps: start car, within 5 seconds, press and hold for 3 seconds and LED will light constant). No bueno folks..... remote start inop on 2010 honda insight -- posted image. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! Any additional info needed specific to my 2010 Honda Insight (i.e., specific wiring connections, parts, etc.), please do let me know and I'll promptly reply. Thank you very kindly for taking the time to read this post.

Nate

Nate Dizzle
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2010 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

just place the key into the ignition barrel, but dont turn it to acc or ign. If it remote starts, it a bypass issue.

if you need to turn it to ignition with the key and then it will remote start, that means you are not powering up an ignition wire.

hope this helps.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
mally8033 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2010 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Would you or anyone else who is reviewing this thread happen to know exactly which wires from the alarm go to Honda's wires? I guess I need to know which wires from the alarm are going to be hot (12 volt constant). I know that there must have been a misprint for the 5901's wire H3/6 (Red) needed to go to a constant hot wire (Honda - White @ steering column harness) when in fact it read to connect it to "(+) FUSED (30A) IGNITION 1 INPUT." If this were the case which I did initially, the remote start wouldn't receive 12 volts unless the key was on!

Thanks again folks

Nate Dizzle
mally8033 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

UPDATE - This is my only issue now, all previous issues have been resolved

Hello All,

Thanks for replying to my post earlier (tedmond)! That helped me for the most part. Now it starts by itself and runs for 2-3 seconds, then dies. The cycle attempts 3 times before it throws an error. I checked the shutdown diagnostics and I get an error code pattern I'm not sure how to interpret! It is 9,4,9,9,4,4,6,9,9,4...

So I looked at my connections once again, and it now have the alarm's RED, RED / WHITE, RED / BLACK tapped into the (constant) HONDA WHITE wire. The alarm PINK is connected to (ignition) HONDA YELLOW, and lastly, the alarm ORANGE is connected to the (accessory) HONDA ORANGE wire. Is there something I'm missing here that would make the alarm disconnect the ignition and/or accessory wires once the car has started?

Thanks,

Nate

Nate Dizzle
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a tach learn issue. Are you sure the module is configured for virtual tach?
mally8033 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
I assume it is okay as I tried to program it but the LED doesn't flash at all when I attempt to learn it. I also tried the voltage mode but this was probably before I had the proper wiring connections. I will certainly try all modes again and even attempt to turn it off and set the crank time a little higher. Would you say there is something wrong with the alarm or is it wiring if i cannot successfully program V tach? Thanks for your susgestion!
Nate Dizzle
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

unfortunatly i dont deal with DEI alarms much. I have never ever seen diagnostic codes like that.

If the vehicle fails to start, after the failed rs, check to see how many times the parking lights flash. Use that number and pull up shutdown diagnostics in the manual, it will narrow it down as to why it will not start.

Ted
Compustar Expert
tedmond 
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Shutdown diagnostics

To perform shutdown diagnostics:
1. With the ignition OFF, press and hold the Valet/Program switch.
2. Turn the ignition ON and then back OFF while holding the Valet/Program
switch.
3. Release the Valet/Program switch.
4. Press and release the Valet/Program switch. The LED flashes to report
the last shutdown for one minute or until the ignition is turned on, as
shown in the following table:
LED Flashes Shutdown Mode
1 flash Runtime expired
2 flashes Over-rev shutdown
3 flashes Low or no RPM
4 flashes Transmitter shutdown (or optional push button)
5 flashes (+) Brake shutdown
6 flashes (-) Hood shutdown
7 flashes Timer mode/Turbo mode/Manual mode error *
8 flashes Neutral safety shutdown
9 flashes Low battery (voltage mode)
10 flashes Alarm triggered **
11 flashes Wait-to-start input timed out

* Timer mode error: Ignition is on or shutdown input is active when activating

timer mode.
Turbo mode error: Turbo mode is programmed off, engine is not on or
shutdown input is active.
Manual mode error: MTS mode not enabled.
** Alarm was triggered during remote start sequence.
Remote starting diagnostics
When the remote start function is activated and the 2-way remote emits an error
tone; you have the ability to see what the cause of the no-start situation is by
counting the amount of flashes of the parking lights from the vehicle.
5 flashes Brake wire is active
6 flashes Hoodpin wire is active
7 flashes Manual transmission mode is enabled and not
initialized.
8 flashes Neutral safety wire has no ground or the neutral safety
switch is Off.

Ted
Compustar Expert
mally8033 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the parking lights do not flash after a failed attempt. Is there a way to reset the alarm to factory settings? I'm starting to thing the alarm is malfuncting...
Nate Dizzle
mally8033 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2010 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Solved!
Turns out I needed to switch from Vtach to Voltage sensing. Thanks for all the efforts by you guys! Long story short, it helps having better documentation and install instructions--DEI! 6 remote start installs under my belt and this was the most difficult....
Nate Dizzle
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic