icon

so i want to amp my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xancilleryx 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2010 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
So im going to be amping my system and was thinking about running 2 4 channel amps in bridged modes to drive the front and rear speakers respectively. I havent been able to find a 4 channel amp that will drive my CDT audio speakers at the 130 RMS rating unless I want to spend close to 500 - 600 bucks.
So why not use 2 4 channel amps in bridged mode to deliver that power? Is there anything negative about doing this? Has anyone done this? Heres a diagram of what im thinking about doing. Ive tried fining my answers through google but cant seem to find this particular case for some odd reason..
so i want to amp my system -- posted image.
A little insanity never hurt anyone
xancilleryx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM / IP Logged  
Guess I forgot to mention a few details:
2008 Nissan Titan XE
CDT Audio CL-62 Components for the fronts
CDT Audio CL-6EX Coaxial For the rears
xancilleryx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Someone? Anyone? Nobody? Ouch so i want to amp my system -- posted image.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
cute diagram
ben d. 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

according to the model of speakers you gave they are 4 ohm speakers.  When you bridge the amplifier channels the resistance at the amp will drop to two ohms.  You will have to find an amp that is stable bridged at that resistance.  Otherwise the amp will overheat/fail or just sit in protect mode.  But other than that you can do it.  Keep in mind you don't need to feed those speakers the RMS rating of power but if you want to you will have to spend money.  5-600 bucks for a two channel amp pushing that kind of power isn't a bad price.  Generally good amplifiers you will be paying 1-2 dollars per rms watt.  Decent rule of thumb to go buy when shopping for amplifiers.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500
MECP Certified Advanced Installer CEA 191700
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
I do it every day. I have a PDX4.150 bridged to my mid-bass in my doors. Potentially overpowered? Indeed, but I know the limits of my gear, and I never get that far into it.
Go for it. It'll work like a champ!
ben d. You are wrong. If you bridge a 4-ohm speaker to any amp, you still have a 4-ohm load. If the amp is stable bridged into a 4-ohm load, he'll be perfectly safe. Yes, the amplifer "effectively sees" 2-ohms per channel, but that's because the current output doubles, the voltage is doubled across the SAME 4-ohm load, creating four times the power. It is the doubling of current that makes the amplifier "feel" like it's making more power, or driving a lower impedance. It's still powering a 4-ohm load.
I realize that's in a perfect world, and it's per Ohm's Law, but I think this is what you have in mind. Regardless, the total impedance attached to the amplifer is 4-ohms. Speakers don't simply change their impedance.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
xancilleryx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

Thack79 wrote:
cute diagram

Haha thanks... I figured someone would like it :P

haemphyst wrote:
I do it every day. I have a PDX4.150 bridged to my mid-bass in my doors. Potentially overpowered? Indeed, but I know the limits of my gear, and I never get that far into it.
Go for it. It'll work like a champ!
ben d. You are wrong. If you bridge a 4-ohm speaker to any amp, you still have a 4-ohm load. If the amp is stable bridged into a 4-ohm load, he'll be perfectly safe. Yes, the amplifer "effectively sees" 2-ohms per channel, but that's because the current output doubles, the voltage is doubled across the SAME 4-ohm load, creating four times the power. It is the doubling of current that makes the amplifier "feel" like it's making more power, or driving a lower impedance. It's still powering a 4-ohm load.
I realize that's in a perfect world, and it's per Ohm's Law, but I think this is what you have in mind. Regardless, the total impedance attached to the amplifer is 4-ohms. Speakers don't simply change their impedance.

Perfect this is just the answer I was looking for. And yes im going to overpower them but im not going to blow them if I have my gains down. With a setup like this will i lose any L to R or front to back fading ability from the headunit? I dont see why I woulnt....I get asked why not just run a 4 channel with more power? Well damnet im on a budget, so why not try something like this? I also want to make shure my speakers have all the power thier built for and are ready for whatever I throw at them imo. I dont forsee myself blasting them up that loud for fear of going deaf, its just knowing I can.so i want to amp my system -- posted image. Thanks for the help guys!

icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Diagram reminded me of the Styrofoam cup telephones. lol
Yeah as stated above everything should be good.
One thing to keep track of the Channel separation. Since its a 4 channel amp. Make sure the channels you are bridging are on the same side.
Ie. channel 1+2 are both LEFT speaker.
and channels 3+4 are both RIGHT speakers.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2010 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
you never posted which amps you have. they ARE the same amps aren't they? mis-matching amps would be the only problem i can see
xancilleryx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Yep their both the same:
SPECS
x2 Jensen Power 760
RMS Power (4 ohms)     75 watts x 4 channels
RMS Power (2 ohms)     100 watts x 4 channels
RMS Power (1 ohm)     N/A
Bridged RMS Power     190 watts x 2 channels
Total RMS Power Output     380 watts