icon

single switch, multiple outputs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
The momentary switches will not handle the current needed by the bag valves.  You will have to use a relay on each set of valves.  Set = all 4 raise valves.  or pair of raise valves if you wish to raise front and rear independently.  I did not read much of what was posted after my last, Spark may have already covered this. 
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I can see why the rotary is out...
Selection is too inconvenient - ie, dial one of 6 positions, then hit the "go" button. (Or dial one of 3, then rocker the right direction for go.)
Rockers don't need sighting...
blowndakrt 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Plus the rotary still needs some form of selection/activation button....
For the system above, interception is required on both hot & grounded sides - ie, the bag valves grounding needs to be cut & relayed.
But the same occurs for anything that uses polarity changeover instead of an extra winding/terminal to reverse direction - eg, window up & down. (Most windows I know of are a two-wire motor whose polarity is simply reversed to change direction.)
As to what the above relays are - that's up to you, though relays usually aren't required to switch other relays except for extra control logic or for high current relays (solenoids).
But from what you say, it sounds like six relays are required where the rockers merely select which individual relay is activated at any time.
The relay types depend on the connection required - ie, 2 SPDT for window polarity change over; 2 SPST for the air bags; and 2 whatever (SPST or SPDT) for the actuator.
(In practice I'd use all SPDT - they are usually the same price, and can then be swapped if a NC contact (87a) burns out. IE - one size fits all; standard 15A or 30A SPDT "changeover" relays.)
The only additional aspect is the window control.
Since the device-selection rocker is 2-pole and not 3-pole, the window is selected by default (as in my diagram - the grounding relays) and selection of either of the others DESELECTS the window.
That can be done with 2 diodes and an extra relay, or two extra relays.
Your choice?
It may be possible to reduce the number of relays depending on the actuator wiring (polarity changeover, or 2 wires plus hot or ground?), or if diodes etc are implemented (though I'd limit that to "logic" level only and use relays for all the power switching).
Well I haven't started collecting any parts yet. So if it would be easier with a different latching switch, I can probably do that. Would I need to go with a DPDT latching rocker instead, or what kind of latching rocker would I need to use to help simplify this? And according to the switch drawing, the one I was looking at is listed as a 3P SPDT rocker. Is that not a true 3 pole switch, but merely a 3 terminal switch?
I would like to not have to use a relay on both the positive and negative leads to the valves, but simply a relay on the positive side. All the valves are grounded at the valve mounting, so it would be a complete rewire of all his valves to be able to do that.
Thanks
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
With the rocker, you are using 3 positions to control 3 things so that has little alternative - unless you want a 4 position switch 3 ONs & 1 OFF)
But before anything more, please confirm your wiring:
The window is polarity reversal to change direction.
The bags are grounded with a +12V "switch"; one for front, one for back (raise or lower irrelevant - only one thru the rocker).
How is the actuator wired for up/down, in/out whatever.
BTW - no need to switch the bag grounds. Keep in mind, we will now use individual relays, not the arrangement shown in my diagram.
And rocker are the best because no interlocking is required.
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
With the rocker, you are using 3 positions to control 3 things so that has little alternative - unless you want a 4 position switch 3 ONs & 1 OFF)
But before anything more, please confirm your wiring:
The window is polarity reversal to change direction.
The bags are grounded with a +12V "switch"; one for front, one for back (raise or lower irrelevant - only one thru the rocker).
How is the actuator wired for up/down, in/out whatever.
BTW - no need to switch the bag grounds. Keep in mind, we will now use individual relays, not the arrangement shown in my diagram.
And rocker are the best because no interlocking is required.
I will have him bring the car in this weekend and take a look at the windows.
I do know for a fact that the valves are positive pulse to activate, as they are grounded individually at each valve mount.
As far as the actuators, I will also double check those as well.
He did mention that he could possibly be talked into 3 small momentary push buttons instead of the rocker, but wanted to be able to just go from one button to the next, and the previous momentary would be turned off. But that would require another 4 relays per push button to do on top of another 3 relays to give the second output for the devices. So in my head that is 15 relays. WOW. Think I will stick to the rocker idea for now. Haha.
Thanks
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I reckon stick with the rockers.
As I said, there are no interlock issues if you do.
Besides, holding 2 switches isn't good (unless you intend using the latching rocker as up/down etc) - it'd probably be better with 6 buttons
I doubt that you'd need 15 relays - probably use DPDTs instead of SPST/SPDT. But that all depends on the actuators. (The windows would need 3PDT else dual relays etc.)
And that's where I think relay logic gets ridiculous - eg 15 relays instead of 6 relays and some electronics. But that's me....
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
I reckon stick with the rockers.
As I said, there are no interlock issues if you do.
Besides, holding 2 switches isn't good (unless you intend using the latching rocker as up/down etc) - it'd probably be better with 6 buttons
I doubt that you'd need 15 relays - probably use DPDTs instead of SPST/SPDT. But that all depends on the actuators. (The windows would need 3PDT else dual relays etc.)
And that's where I think relay logic gets ridiculous - eg 15 relays instead of 6 relays and some electronics. But that's me....
I agree. And from an ease of use and cosmetic standpoint, the rocker is going to be the way to go. Less parts is less chance something can go wrong. And easier to diagnose and replace parts if a relay wears out.
Shawn
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
The momentary switches will not handle the current needed by the bag valves.  You will have to use a relay on each set of valves.  Set = all 4 raise valves.  or pair of raise valves if you wish to raise front and rear independently.  I did not read much of what was posted after my last, Spark may have already covered this. 
The coils are 8 watts, so only draw around .70 amps to operate. But I did plan to use a relay anyways.
Thanks
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
If they are under an amp, why use relays if not needed?
Though relays are VERY reliable, it is still extra failure points etc.
And for that current, I definitely think it worthwhile understanding and using diodes! (EG - a small 2-terminal IN4004 costing 20c instead of a 4 terminal $2-$5 relay; or a few to replace 8 terminal DPDT relays etc.)
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2010 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
If they are under an amp, why use relays if not needed?
Though relays are VERY reliable, it is still extra failure points etc.
And for that current, I definitely think it worthwhile understanding and using diodes! (EG - a small 2-terminal IN4004 costing 20c instead of a 4 terminal $2-$5 relay; or a few to replace 8 terminal DPDT relays etc.)
Well I figured I would have to use relays to allow the "switching" so to speak to the different devices. What else would turn off the signal going to the valves when the rocker is in the other position to control the actuators or windows?
Shawn
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic