icon

viper 5901 and pkall

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markd65 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
I am trying to install a Viper 5901 using a PKALL bypass module on an '09 F-250. I am sure I will have a few questions but my first obstacle is on the PKALL. I see the RX and TX lines on my wiring diagram, and I realize the status line from the Viper goes to the blue white 'while running' line. My question is the PKALL ignition line (Pink). The ignition has a lot of wires, which wire does it go to? I imagine the power and ground to the module will be supplied by the D2D cable, but 'ignition' in the install instructions is a bit vague for a rookie. Any help would be appreciated.
MarkD
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
hook it to the IGN wire you will power at the IGN switch
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
markd65 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

So you are saying to connect it to the ignition power wire, live +12V. In the case of an 09' F-250, the blue/red wire?

MarkD
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper - Posts: 388
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
No connect it to the WHITE/ orange which is ignition. The blue/red is constant. The WHITE/ orange is ignition meaning no power when the car is off but gets power when it is being cranked and on.
Confidence is the key to any project!!
markd65 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you!

So that is the ignition Run/Start line. Now on the Viper side:

The Viper has an 'ingnition 1 Input/Output' (pink; H3/1) line on the heavy gauge connector. I presume this wire also goes to the WHITE/ orange (run/start) wire.

I think the starter wire (Blue/White) needs to be cut, the ignition side tied to the 'Starter Input' line of the Viper ( Green; H3/5 ) and the starter side of the wire goes to the 'Starter Output' line (violet; H3/4). Is this correct?

It would also appear that this alarm has the 'starter kill relay' is built in, so I don't have to add one. Is this correct?

I imagine I don't connect anything to the +30A fused accessory line (RED / Black; H3/9), unless I want to power a rear defroster (which I don't have, though I do have a mirror defroster) on the accessory output line (Orange; H3/3). Is this correct?

To wrap up the remote start function I need to connect the 'Brake Shutdown wire' (Gray; pin 3 of remote start input 5 pin connector) to the violet/ white wire of the brake switch. If the virtual tach works, then I won't need to connect the tach wire I presume.

MarkD
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

H3/1 goes to WHITE/ Orange.

Starter kill relay is built in and your wiring is correct.

H3/9 should be connected to suitable +12v constant.  Your truck has two Accessory wires.  You can connect H3/3 to one and re-program the Vipers' flex relay to Accessory 2 and connect H3/7 to the trucks ACC2 wire.  Your two accessory wires supply power to run things like heat, A/C, radio, etc.

There should be a Tach wire in the drivers kick panel or by the brake pedal in the Customer Access Harness.  It is Blue (AC).  In case Virtual Tach doesn't work well........

Soldering is fun!
markd65 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Like H3/9, Does that mean that I also have to connect H3/2 and H3/6 to a suitable constant 12V like the blue/red supply to the ignition (or directly to the battery circuit)?

I presume the 2 accessory lines you are refering to are the Violet/Green (Acc/Run) and the BROWN / Yellow (Sometimes Yellow/Orange, Run line).

MarkD
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

Yes.  The Viper get its' power on H1/2, H3/2, H3/6 and H3/9.  Suitable source is one that can handle the Vipers' expected load.

Yes on the two accessory wires.  Those are the colors that Bulldog and AudioVox list, but it's best to verify with a DMM.

Soldering is fun!
markd65 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

Well I finally got around to instaling this system. I have everything working except the door lock/unlock. The install guide for the viper 5901 says the 3 pin connector:

pin 1 (Blue) is a (+) lock (-) unlock. I connected this to the Yellow/Violet wire for (-) unlock.

pin 3 (Green) is a (+)unlock (-) lock. I connected this to the Blue/Green wire for(-)  lock.

Prior to connecting I grounded the Yellow/Violet wire to confirm the doors unlocked, they did.

Prior to connecting I grounded the  Blue/Green wire to confirm the doors locked, they did.

Connected they don't work by the viper. I figure this probably means I need to program the viper to output a negative pulse for lock and unlock. Or more likely, I found a quick reference guide that called these 2 pins by a different name,  (-) 500mA unlock and Lock outputs. This probably indicates I need to hook up relays that will ground the Lock and Unlock vehicle lines. Anybody know which it is?

MarkD

MarkD
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
From what I see and read,  you should not need relays for the door locks.  Try switching the wires.  On a 5301, I connected the wires backwards once and mine did the opposite of what the buttons were for.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic