the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

this a good amp for 2 12 type r's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rboutin2 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2010 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
whatdya mean its starving for power? I have 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp, with a 100 amp fuse under the hood. It has about a foot of 4 gauge ground wire. The system when bumpin at idle never dips below 13 volts. Even on really heavy freqs. Its all in a stock 95 ranger 3.0l v6. I know it should be a close enough to perfect match for my subs, thats why i bought the amp in the first place. I bought it used tho.
Disturbin' Tha Peace
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2010 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

When voltage drops, current rises, thus causing an increase in heat.  I doubt very seriously that your system is maintaining 13v while running that amp.  Check power at the amp with a good volt meter to see what it drops to...  If you are reading voltage off a capacitor, first off get rid of it, and second the voltage it reads is probably not correct.  If you are looking at the dash gauge, its probably wrong.   

What enclosure are these subs in?  That amp has plenty of power to run those subs if everything is set up properly...

rboutin2 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2010 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
i used a multimeter to check it. I dont have a cap. dont see the purpose in them. The subs are in a custom enclosure right around 2 cubic foot per chamber, aero ported to 32 hz. The amp is mounted the the jump seat on the driver's side. It gets hot enough to the point where it cuts the output in half, then if you keep playing it, it will go into protect mode. The subs are wired to 2 ohm load at the amp. As far as I can tell, everyone SHOULD work, but it don't.
Disturbin' Tha Peace
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2010 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
why dont you get an 18 to put in your ranger like me? its great. its true, your amp could be starving for power but i dont think its likely. i run an autotek mean machine 2000.1D and it stays nice and cool. i do have a stinger yellow 1800 amp battery under the hood but my alt is still stock and my main ground is 0ga. i only drop voltage when i decide to burp my truck at a competition and then it's only as the bass drops below 30hz on a sweep. i could fix it if i wanted to but money is tight and its not causing any problems for normal listening.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic