icon

total system overhaul

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
def by 20 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2010 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'm about to sell my 2 type r 12s, 35 htz box, Alpine 500 watt amp, and Kicker cvr.  I want to go LOUD.  I'm keeping my JL 1000 Slash but that is all as far as bass.  Looking at Kicker L7 15s, Fi BTL 15(single), DD if they get back to me with prices, and maybe MTX(probably not).  Go the airspace for any of these I think but not sure about power.  I would probaly get another JL 1000 if I went with the L7s and run one to each.  Don't know what amp to get if I get the Fi or DD.  I'm pretty sure I can't combine 2 JLs and run them to one sub but someone clarify this if you could.  Also, what power upgrades will I need to run atleast 2000 watts rms?  I have a run of 0 gauge back to the JL right now but running stock batt and alt.  The lights dim some but not too bad.  I'm thinking another batt will be almost necessary but do I need a ho alternator?  and where can I get one cheap for a dodge 1500?  Haven't done the big 3 yet but I have almost 30 ft. of 0 gauge left so it will be done when I get the time.  I deffinetly want to be louder than a 13w7 in a ported box with JL 1000 Slash that my friend has in his Jeep with a reg cab truck. 
Jensen VM9214 Flip out, JVC 6x9's,Sony 6x9's Pioneer 6x9's, 2 Alpine Type R's in ported box, JL 1000/1 V2 Slash, Sony GTX6040 240 watt amp, Kicker CVR(Black), Alpine 500 (300) watt amp.
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2010 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

Another battery will just place another load on the alternator unless you have enough charging capability to charge them both which you probably don't .  Looking into a HO alt would be highly recommended.  Also replacing the stock battery with something that has better charging and discharging characteristics would be wise. 

I have seen a single 13w7 get in the 150's with two 1000.1's, not the slash series though.   The l7, FI, or the DD's could easily out do one on a single slash amp with a poor charging system though.  Bottom line, you need power to make power.  If your charging system is not up to par, your system will never perform at the level it is capable of. 

Enclosure will also play a large role in the overall performance of whichever sub you choose, and should be something you spend quite a bit of time designing when putting your stereo together.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2010 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
if you want to go loud my first step would be to get rid of that jensen flip out in favor of something with a better output than its mono low voltage output. plus it will probably skin and or break under any kind of loud bass.
second, you have a regular cab truck. where do you plan on stuffing a 3+ cubic foot box? are you going to cut a hole into the bed of your truck and build a blow through box?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2010 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
paidnfull wrote:
Another battery will just place another load on the alternator unless you have enough charging capability to charge them both which you probably don't.
....Also replacing the stock battery with something that has better charging and discharging characteristics would be wise.
Sorry - I have addressed this elsewhere, but the "extra load on the alternator" is incorrect in general practical terms.
If anything, a larger battery DECREASES the load on an alternator - not that that should have any practical significance (except perhaps when large loads exist, or alternator power diodes are too weak).
Also the "better discharging characteristic battery" is VERY dependent.
If the battery is in the stock location, "audio" advantages to AGM etc batteries are largely negligible.
A stock battery with a second (AGM) battery near the amp is a very different situation.
And for battery life etc, flooded (wet) batteries are better for engine cranking or if excessive discharge (flattening) occurs.
As to charging, AGMs might charge faster if "short drives" (like under say 10 minutes) is an issue. But they do not tolerate over charging - especially over-voltage.   
The rest is fine & good - ESPECIALLY upgrading the alternator if AFTER the Big-3, the charging battery voltage is too low - ie, is NOT generally between 13.8-14.4V.
def by 20 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2010 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
So who sells a good ho output for a decent price?  And an HU with a 5v output would be a good upgrade?  My box right now is 5.7 cube foot plus port, reg. cab dodges have a lot of room.  Thanks for the input so far, I'm going to input some subs into winISD and see what would work the best. 
Jensen VM9214 Flip out, JVC 6x9's,Sony 6x9's Pioneer 6x9's, 2 Alpine Type R's in ported box, JL 1000/1 V2 Slash, Sony GTX6040 240 watt amp, Kicker CVR(Black), Alpine 500 (300) watt amp.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2010 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
def by 20 wrote:
So who sells a good ho output for a decent price?  And an HU with a 5v output would be a good upgrade?  My box right now is 5.7 cube foot plus port, reg. cab dodges have a lot of room.  Thanks for the input so far, I'm going to input some subs into winISD and see what would work the best. 
regular cab? as in no back seat, no back windows, nothing behind the front seats except a wall? i have an extended cab ranger with a 6 cubic foot box and it takes up the whole back up to the window line and the seats go back just far enough for me to be comfortable. im not trying to be a pain, im just having a hard time trying to imagine how you have this set up.
you can get a HO alternator from ohio generator or iraggi but pay attention to the rpm at which the alternator produces max amperage. some will say it is a 300A alt but it only gives you those 300 amps at 3000 rpm which is useless for going through a competition line. you will want one that will give you close to max power at just above idle, maybe 1500rpm.
or if you have a local starter and alternator shop you can talk to them to see if they can take yours and re-wind it to make more power or maybe someone makes a pre fab dual alternator bracket for your truck.
and as far as a better HU goes, yes, you should upgrade in the long run. a good high voltage output will make your amps work better and sound cleaner without the need to turn them up all the way, although im sure you'll do it anyway. its not the most important thing in a heavy hitter but it sure does help.
def by 20 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2010 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I would uplaod a picture but I can't.  Iraggi is no longer on ebay and the new site is not done so I can't see any prices or anything.  Ohio Generator also does not have any prices and I think you have to be a dealer to get prices.  wwww.powermustards.com has a 110 amp idle and 220 amp at 1200 rpm for $300 that I'm really looking into but I don't know if it will fit. 

soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 04, 2010 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
you have to call them if you want prices. they dont trust their customers to just know what they need, and rightfully so. but give them a call if you want to check them out i dont think you need an account or anything.
def by 20 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2010 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Oh ok, I'll do that.  I decided to go with the 1 Fi or DD.  Looking at the audioque 2200 or 3500.  Going to do big 3 tomarrow, then ho alt when I figure out what to get and an aux battery (with isolator?), probaly a yellow top form oreily or somewhere.  Would this be providing enough power for these amps?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 04, 2010 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
if you just want to be loud, them yeah you have plenty of power. if you want to run through a competition line, you can never have enough power.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic