the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

new rs in 04 toy tundra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Solder everything.  Vibration, especially on a truck, can lead to bad connections with taps.  Use a quality electric tape, like Scotch Super 33+.  Buy a small bag of assorted heat shrink tube for use where possible.  Buy some tie wraps to keep things neat.  Use a Digital Multi Meter to verify wires.

Become very familiar with the Vipers install guide.  There are some wires you won't use.  There are programming options that will need to be changed.  Tach mode is the most reliable way to start the engine.

Soldering is fun!
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
This is an easy truck compared to a lot. Other than the locks it's about as simple as it gets. I get lights and brake in the kick panel, door trigger at the ignition key cylinder(blue/black, covers all doors). Brain placement is tight, little room under the dash for a big truck. I usually go above the kick panel.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Wiretaps...wiretaps? Blasphemy! Remove this poster please moderators.
Joking aside, wiretaps will fail for the following reasons:- (and quite quickly).
Poor electrical joint, not enough contact area = high resistance = fail.
Can fall apart from vibrations.
Corrosion can enter.
Please, either connect via soldering and heat shrink tubing* and or soldering and Scotch 33+.
* Cut the wire to be joined to, strip 12cm (1/2") off each end.
Strip the joining wire 1/4" about 2" back, join one of the cut sides, solder letting the solder flow into the joint, nice and shiny.
Heat shrink the joint, place another heat shrink over the cut end, butt splice the two together solder and heat shrink.
Fiddly, but neat looking and it will last forever.
wellyman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
all right I'm going to start this morning with the install. I had just a few questions that I'm hoping someone can clarify.
1. Hood Pin input- I wasn't able to find one on the truck. I have a wiring diagram that list a wire but I'm guessing this is a mistake. Any suggestion on where to install the supplied hood pin on this truck?
2. Dome Light Output- I have one wiring diagram that says "comes on with unlock", which I read as not used, and another that lists a Blu/BLK wire. Not sure which is correct for this truck.
3. Similar to previous, Factory Alarm disarm output-One guide says "disarms with unlock", which again I read as its not used. Yet the other diagram lists a BLU/RED wire. Not sure which is correct.
4. Lastly, (-)200mA 2ND UNLOCK OUTPUT- It doesn't appear that i need to hook anything up to this, but unsure. It states the wire produces output for progressive locks which my truck has. Since I want to have single pulse action, which as discussed earlier in this thread I going to do via programming, since I'm going into the drivers door for the locks. Does this wire have anything to do with doing this?
That's it, not as many questions as I thought I'd have. Sure is a lot of wires, and I think it will take quite a long time for someone who hasn't done it before, but looking forward to it.
Oh, does everybody typically mount the antenna on the windshield behind the rearview mirror? Is there no recommended location where it can be completely out of view? I mean it has 1 mile range, which I don't really need, so loosing some of that distance by mounting it somewhere out of view would be fine by me. What are some options for location?
Thanks for all the help and tips (very funny Howie II).
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
1) Any where the lid closed down on it breaking it's ground circuit without damaging it, also preferably high up and away from water paths, also spray it (and the siren) with a moisture retarder.
2) If your dome light has a fade but shuts down instantly the doors are locked, then comes on when the doors are unlocked before opening, you don't need this just go to the wire at the dome light which switches to neg when the door is opened. This is connected to your green door trigger wire.
3)?
4) Don't use it just set your unlock to double pulse.
See if you can mount the antenna in the top right corner where it's out of your line of sight. Another option, I do this on BMWs is to pop the gauge cluster, always easy on Japanese vehicles, and place the antenna there, if you have the combined antenna including LED and valet switch, go for the top position.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

I'll add that on this truck the interior lights will come on when you unlock using the wires in the drivers door. Don't bother with it.

All you need to disarm is the unlock in the drivers door. The pulse will not only unlock but disarm too. You need it to disarm when you RS also and this is done by seeing a ground on the keysense wire when the ignition comes on. Make sure you connect the keysense to the status output of the RS and this will be fine.

I would connect the 2nd unlock wire to the blue unlock wire. Reason being, it won't make a difference now since you want it to unlock all and you are setting it to double pulse but if you ever want it to do prgressive locks it will be a simple matter of reprogramming. No wiring will be needed because you already did it. Connect the 1st 1nd 2nd blue unlocks together and there will be no issue later if you decide to change it.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
wellyman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2010 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Well the install took longer than I thought, but it went well. No problems and all of you guys who answered all my questions sure made it straight forward. Thanks again for the help!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic