Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swizcore 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
i am an idiot wrote:
Meter set to AC volts, lowest possible scale if it is not an autoranging meter. 
Ok, I'll do that but what is the reason for using AC volts? That threw me for a loop, I thought maybe you had just suggested that in the case that I didn't have a DC meter.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Audio signal is an AC voltage.  Hence speaker moving in and out.  The 6.82 volts of DC tell me that there should be audio on those 8 wires.  If you are having trouble determining that the audio is on the wires, turn the volume all the way down and check the voltage, then turn the volume up and the voltage should increase accordingly.
swizcore 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Here's what I got AC volts.
When I would adjust the volume it wasn't affecting the meter reading.
@200mv Setting
Bottom
Blk w/ wht stripe-01.0
Blue-00.9
Blk-01.0
Grn-00.8
Lt brn-00.5
Purple-11.0
Sm Orange-40.4-110.4
Lime Grn-00.5
Orange w/Blk stripe-00.4
Grn w/wht stripe-00.4
Brown-00.4
Gray-01.8
Pink-00.4
Big orange-00.4
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

Since the voltage does not change with the volume, I tend to think that this is one of the data volume controlled units. 

Do you have an old set of amplified computer speakers that you can sacrifice to do some troubleshooting?  If you do not have a set you can sacrifice, Radio Shack sells a 1/8 inch stereo panel mounted jack.  That along with some wire to make a probe will let us know what is going on.  If you have a sacrificial pair of amplified speakers, simply cut the plug off of the end.  Strip the wire back a bit to expose the 2 center conductors and the shield.  Solder wires to 1 or both of the center conductors and the shield.  Ground the shield wire to the chassis of the radio if possible.  There should be a 3/16 screw on the rear of the radio cover.  Loosen it and wrap the wire under it and retighten it.  Now with the wire you soldered to the center conductor(s), use that as a probe to touch to the wires you had 6.8 volts on earlier.  How many of those 8 wires do you hear audio on? 

You must have the speakers powered up and the volume turned up a bit on the computer speakers.  If you have the system I think you have, the volume of the radio does not matter.  Turn it down to make it easier to hear the computer speakers.  If no audio with radio volume down, turn it up a bit and test again.

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
hi,
can you identify the speaker wires at the amp and do a continuity test on each of them?.. should be thicker gauge wires twisted in pairs. also 'pop' them with a 1.5V battery? have seen intermittent connectors at speakers. when inserted fully speaker didn't work, unlatched and pulled back slightly, all good.
mark
swizcore 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
Well I bitched out and took it to Dukes Car Stereo and paid the $45 to have them diagnose it.
Turns out the passenger side speakers are blown, the tweeter is fine.
So now Im in the doodiety position of either locating a front and rear replacement Bose speaker for the passenger side; or replacing the head unit and all speakers and bypassing the Bose amp(system) completely.
My worry is that I find two Bose speakers but at some point Im sure the drivers side speakers are gonna go too, then Im back at square 1.
Is there a Bose amp bypass plug or something available to simply bypass the amp if I go with new radio and speakers, or am I going to be stuck splicing the wires from the two amp plugs?
i am an idiot 
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
That was years ago.  The Bose speakers in your vehicle are 4Ohm speakers.  You can replace them with any aftermarket   6-1/2 inch speakers
swizcore 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
That was years ago.  The Bose speakers in your vehicle are 4Ohm speakers.  You can replace them with any aftermarket   6-1/2 inch speakers
Reeeeally? Are you positive? If so, I'll just replace all four door speakers.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic