complete but remote not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
criper 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Got to be a faulty unit, it's so simple.
After 25 min on hold, i talked to Directed's tech support. The guy wasn't able to help me because i'm not an authorized dealer, but i kept asking simple questions and he kept answering. He mentioned that a good ground, power, and antenna was all that was needed to use/program the transmitter. I appear to have that because the led and horn work during my attempts to reprogram the transmitter. He mentioned it was likely a bad unit.
howie ll wrote:
incidentally if you ground the WHITE/ blue activation input (probably twice in succession) does it remote start?
I can try that tomorrow. What does it mean if it does start? What does it mean if it doesn't?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2010 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
Simple. If it starts your wiring is correct and you have a faulty unit. If it doesn't back to the answer given you by the DEI tech and myself all along.
criper 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

I tried to start it using the WHITE/ blue activation wire, but no luck.  I've got a new unit coming that i'll try and swap out. 

Is there any way to bench test the unit to verify it's the problem?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2010 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
You just have with the white /blue wire.
Another look, in fact don't just look, test and one more test, repeat the test with the blue /white, this time with the key in the ignition.
criper 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
It doesn't work with the key in the ign either.
Kreg, I did verify that I do have a factory alarm system.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
The factory alarm shouldn't be a problem.  The 2011 Rogue I just did had the alarm too, but even locked and alarmed, the car will remote start without triggering the alarm.
Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Bad wiring, bet you haven't tested voltage etc. etc.
Bad wiring to by-pass, or improperly programmed.
Bad R/S or bad by-pass.
Bet you haven't tested the R/S outputs yet.
criper 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Bad wiring, bet you haven't tested voltage etc. etc.
Bad wiring to by-pass, or improperly programmed.
Bad R/S or bad by-pass.
Bet you haven't tested the R/S outputs yet.

I'll be sure to test my wires again, but i've already checked and rechecked them. 

I doubt it's the bypass.  Even without one, i should be able to program my remotes.

If i can't get the remote start to activate, how would i test the outputs?

criper 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I received the new unit, and the first thing I noticed was that the remote in the box responded differently when I clicked it. It had a full led and made noise. After a few clicks it went to dim like the other remotes I have. Apparently Buy.com has some very old units on the shelf. All four remotes had dead, or almost dead batteries.
Dead battery was the first thing I though of when this problem started, and someone else mentioned it here as well. But when i pulled the batteries out and tested them they both had 3 volts, just as listed. I guess i should have listened to my gut instead of my machine.
Anyways, $11 in batteries later, I'm good to go. Thanks for everyones help and advice.
criper 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, and for other rookies like myself. The hoodpin shutdown is activated when grounded. So if you are waiting to drill the hole and hook it up until after everything else works, don't ground the wire attempting to bypass it. :)
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic