icon

any pro's use prestige?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cjanke 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Like the title says. I have been using autopage for a long time now and for some reason they decided to discontinue the one button RS.

I have tried a couple prestige units but the programming is the dumbest I have EVER seen, it makes no sense. I love the remotes and customers have responded well to them. I may just use code alarm instead because the units are similar but the programming is super easy.  Any input or a trick to make it easier. The manual mentions a RF programmer. Is this similar to the bitwriter from DEI.

autoobsessionny 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have used audiovox 1 buttons for years with my Lexus accounts. The programming does suck but once you do a few it becomes very easy.
All you most need to program anyway is the run time, tach/tachless mode, and then program the tach.
I have used a couple of compustar one buttons lately and they work ok also + they have lock/unlock/trunk on the little remote instead of just unlock.
Auto Obsession
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
I used to install alot of Audiovox alarms and remote starters when I worked at a dealership. I actually think Audiovox units are easy to program, but that might be because im so used to them. I have more problems trying to program DEI units....go figure.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

I agree, i think the DEI one button is harder to program. We use Pursuit, which is the same thing as  prestige with different remotes. They work well, rarely have a problem with them. My only complaint is the unlock wire is the same as the pulse before start, kinda stupid, while the DEI is a separate wire.

Isn't the Code Alarm the same as the Prestige also?

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with all the above comments here.
I've been installing Audiovox since 2001. Pursuit is harder for the general public to buy, and is supposed to be sold only to new-car dealers. Prestige more widespread and the product has pretty retail packaging. Otherwise they're the same.
I think they're great products other than the poorly-written literature that comes with them.
The programming itself isn't that bad; it's the horrible instructions that make it seem more difficult than it is.
I have the wireless programmer which helps things a lot. However, the recently redesigned products (part number ending in C) doesn't work with the programmer right now. Hopefully they'll come out with a new chip or a new programmer or something.
The Code Alarm units don't make much sense from my point of view. I mean they're good units but........they're made on the cheaper Prestige APS620 style platform, they don't work with the wireless programmer, and they cost as much as or even more than the Prestige/Pursuit pieces. The only good thing is that the Code one-button has separate wires for disarm and unlock.
The Audiovox stuff is cheap enough that I'd recommend you buy a couple of one-button starters and try them out. For the first one, make sure it's a drop-off customer, not waiting, so you have time to get the hang of the wire colors and programming. If you need any help with it let me know.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

Code Alarm is an Audiovox product. So yeah pretty much.

I used to have problems programming DEI's Automate AM1 upgrade alarms. They have the LED/Valet button all-in-one and I would have to hook up a seperate valet switch just to program it. Its a hit or a miss with the button working properly. I think Audiovox's LED/Valet button work better.

cjanke 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

The code stuff is very similar. we are auditioning both as replacement for autopage. i am leaning towards code because the programing and I know this may sound stupid but I hate the fact that the start button and the trunk button are one. Then an option button that is not used. i am thinking ahead  because i can hear the old lady now. Every time i start my car I pop my trunk. The code remotes are laid out nicer and I love the real panic sound.

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
godd dan it wrote:
Mike M2 wrote:

Code Alarm is an Audiovox product. So yeah pretty much.

I used to have problems programming DEI's Automate AM1 upgrade alarms. They have the LED/Valet button all-in-one and I would have to hook up a seperate valet switch just to program it. Its a hit or a miss with the button working properly. I think Audiovox's LED/Valet button work better.

No doubt the old version AM1 was hard to program. They have redesigned it so that now it doesn't matter if the door is open. The new AM1 shock is really simple to adjust...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
cjanke 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have now done about 6 of them and the programing is now making sense. I think I am still going to use Code though. I will most likely do code and prestige. I will use prestige as a step up. I also looked into DEI and Compustar but decided to go Code/Audiovox. Every shop around me has dei and I think the compustar remotes are just ugly although the features and value almost made me go with them. Oh and the dei rep is just a d i c k. He is more interested in cramming orion down your throat than taking care of the security and rs needs.
cjanke 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2010 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Any other suggestions on brands to switch to. I think I may be content with what I have decided but I am still open to suggestions.  i need a reliable product that is easy to use because I do a lot of dealer work.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic