icon

car cranks but no start after alarm setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  
I'm also guessing here but methinks the second starter "primes" the fuel system and enriches the mixture till it senses, either via a pressure switch or tach that the engine is turning over then cuts out.
mpe235 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
The corrosion in the fuel pump connector can reoccur. Fuel pumps also fail on these. If you test for power and ground at the top of the sending unit and you have both you can also try banging on the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. The fuel pump is at the bottom of the tank.
Nissan Master Tech.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
Not the kind you put on charcoal. The kind you can buy at an automotive store, PepBoys, AutoZone,, or auto section of a WalMart ect, ect.   It comes in a pressurized spray can.  Used a lot in the cold Wisconsin winters.  Even some spray carb cleaner will do the same thing.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
marlonism 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
godd dan it wrote:

... The 1st primary starter wire was ONLY cut. I reconnected the starter wire, so I could start the car to test for the tach wire. The car wouldnt start! I didnt even touch the 2nd starter wire and it wasnt cut.

godd dan it, let me just confirm if I understand you correctly. Do you say that the 2nd starter wire is still uncut and that it's still connected to its original factory harness/connection (and NOT hanging)? (If so, then it wasn't needed by the previous alarm's starter kill?)
marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
The Xterra is actually my wife's car so I've been really busy driving her to/from work in Jersey traffic (plus kids to school) which deprives me of the time to look more closely at her car.
Anyway, I'm in the office right now so I can't look at the car.
So far I have the following action items:
1. check fuses/links
2. check for fuel (including suggested spraying of starter fluid, probing fuel sender connection)
3. check for spark
4. verify with installer if 2nd starter wire is (a) hooked up to original factory harness/connection (b) hanging. Right now I can't check as most wiring is covered with electrical tape.
Thanks for all the help!
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
just a silly question because it happend to me on an install, were any vacuum lines disconnected or unplugged? 
Advanced
marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
dasbogie wrote:
just a silly question because it happend to me on an install, were any vacuum lines disconnected or unplugged? 
i don't think so but I'll double-check when I get home. I suppose the only thing that was done in the engine bay was the siren.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
marlonism wrote:
godd dan it wrote:

... The 1st primary starter wire was ONLY cut. I reconnected the starter wire, so I could start the car to test for the tach wire. The car wouldnt start! I didnt even touch the 2nd starter wire and it wasnt cut.

godd dan it, let me just confirm if I understand you correctly. Do you say that the 2nd starter wire is still uncut and that it's still connected to its original factory harness/connection (and NOT hanging)? (If so, then it wasn't needed by the previous alarm's starter kill?)

The 2nd starter wire is uncut. Actually not even touched. The previous alarm's starter kill was hooked up to the 1st starter wire, which is the correct way to do it.

No vacuum lines were unplugged or anything by me. Only thing I did under the hood was change the siren.

swiftp92 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if someone already mentioned it here but i've read from a source that there are car alarm system that have a kill switch. A kill switch is actually a small switch that you hide somewhere in your car that when you flip it on doesn't allow gas to get to the car making it inoperable to a thief. i hope this would help you about your starter problem.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

swiftp92 wrote:
I don't know if someone already mentioned it here but i've read from a source that there are car alarm system that have a kill switch. A kill switch is actually a small switch that you hide somewhere in your car that when you flip it on doesn't allow gas to get to the car making it inoperable to a thief. i hope this would help you about your starter problem.

That wasnt done. I seen where all the wires went on the car from the alarm. Marlon said a dealership installed the alarm....they dont do those types of things. A fuel cut off is kinda dangerous.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic