icon

03 corolla not starting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
This 03 corolla will not start with the key or the compustar cs600 remote start. The car has a steel key no transponder also the car is a base model with no power door locks or security. When attempting to start with the key the check engin light does not come on with the ingnition, All the other lights come on airbag, oil ,battery but no check engine light. I checked the ingnition switch and every thing is powering up corectly. When tring to start the car just cranks and does not fire. This was an old install over 2years ago. I know the remote starter is not at falt. Its seem like the ecm is not working or some thing like that. I checked all the fuses and the customer even installed a new battery in the car. Any ideas?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

Possible the Compustars Tach wire is grounded out and messing up the ECM?  ( If the compustar is in Tach mode and the tach wire is going to the ECM. )

Soldering is fun!
phil6710 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds like a good idea. I checked out the install and I didnt use the tach wire I programed the starter for tachless mode.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Fuel or spark. Did that car REALLY not have an immobiliser?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
did you check the large MAIN fuses in the underhood fuse box... i'd bet the IGN fuse is cooked.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
phil6710 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I did not check fuel or spark as our shop is not a registered repairshop. Yes this car does not have an imobiliser or transponder key. The car has a all steel toyota key. Usualy these cars do have a chip in the but this one does not .I have even seen some toyota rav 4 2008 model with out the transponder in the key but the key has a remote built in to the key. And this example was a loded with all options vehical. Maybe a former rental?  Anywas I did check all fuses in the car.I even check the output of the ingnition switch all seemed good. This was also an intermitent problem as described by the customer and he assumed that it was caused by the 2year old starter install.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Is there a security light anywhere on the gauge cluster?
Is it possible a previous installer removed the chip from a key and secured it to the antenna shroud around the ignition switch and it's fallen off? Been there. Is there an antenna ring around the ignition switch? If yes that's your answer.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds more likely that your customer has an 8 year old car that needs repairs and they are blaming it on the RS install. The Corollas with immobilizers that year have a light left of the column and it has security written on it. Some did not have it as you know. Bottom line is, if there is power out of the switch on BOTH ignition wires and the accessory when the key is on they need to go elsewhere for the repair...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Why has no one suggested testing ignitions, accessory and STARTER
wire at the ignition switch.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace