the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5101 in 98 chevy lumina, difficult?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blahmonster 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
I've been installing my own stereo systems and working on my own vehicles for a decade, so I know my way around a vehicle, but after looking at the 5101 installation guide, I started doubting my ability to install this sucker. I went to a local install shop and asked a couple of questions, and they told me that the install would definitely require a bypass module of some sort (which they quoted me at $100) and would probably require a few in-line diodes and/or relays to get it working correctly. Is this true?
blahmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, it looks like I do indeed need the XK06 bypass module, and though Viper's MSRP is $100, I can get it off of Amazon for $40. That part of my question is solved, but now I have another piece of equipment that I am going to have to install, which presumably makes the install more difficult. Does anyone know of a link which describes a viper install in a lumina in detail?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

Yes on the immobilizer bypass.  There are several models of bypasses out there.  Search for a DEI PLJX bypass module.  "Online" for around $20.

Your car has Type A door locks.  They require a (+) signal to actuate.  Either diodes or 2 relays are required.

Here is a link to Bulldog Security for a wire guide :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=14542&MakeID=54

Here is a link to AudioVox for their wire guide :  http://techservices.audiovox.com/login.aspx   Sign-up is free.

Getting comfortable with the Viper guide and terminology is the big challange.  viper 5101 in 98 chevy lumina, difficult? -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have a lumina myself. The install is pretty "standard" from a installers POV.
The Bypass is for the Remote Start. If u notice your ignition key has a small rectangular square at the base of the key. This is a factory security to keep the car from starting without the correct key.
This is what the bypass does.
blahmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks! Does that bypass module add much difficulty to the install? Actually, would it be possible to skip having to install the bypass module by disarming the Passkey system entirely? I don't think anyone's going to be trying to jack my 98 Lumina any time soon, so if possible, that might be the best/cheapest option.
I'm assuming I need relays and/or diodes for the door lock system because it operates on a higher voltage than the Viper module can handle, but what I don't get is how or why I can use either diodes or relays. I know a relay is basically a low voltage-operated switch for higher voltage systems, and I can imagine how I'd install one of those - I also understand that a diode is basically a one-way current check valve, but I don't understand how a diode could do the job of a relay. Anyone feel like educating a noob? ;)
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a link to a .pdf file that explains the different type of locks.  The bulldog links list the Lumina as TYPE A  locks.  There is also a section on this site for relays and diodes.   https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=708

The install should be pretty easy, One starter, Two Ignitions, One Accessory,  12 Volts Constant, and the other assorted wires(brake, tach, hood, ect...) Like always mentioned on many threads, test and verify every wire. Read the install manual. Plan on a couple of days to do the install.

It is not that much more work to install a bypass kit.   Why risk screwing something up trying to save 20-40 bucks. Check out a Fortin Passlock -SL2. I put one of these in my son's Cavalier with no problems.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
blahmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the pdf, I'm sure it will come in handy.
I want to disable the Passlock system not only to save on not having to buy the bypass module, but to save on not having to buy a Passlock-enabled spare key, which I have been told are around $30 each. Also, I just don't like the idea of having an unnecessary system which could leave me stranged if it malfunctions somewhere.
I found this while searching: http://vats.likeabigdog.com/
Seems straight-forward enough. Anyone ever tried this?
One more question: I didn't order an alarm system because I didn't have an aftermarket head unit in the vehicle, but I decided a few days ago to go ahead and replace the stocker with something a bit more stout. I live in a questionable area, and now I'm thinking an alarm would be a good idea. Is there a way to add an alarm to the 5101, perhaps a shock sensor module that triggers the horn and lights to flash were someone to break a window?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Search online for DEI 652T or 654T.  These are the resistors that are used with a relay and a remote start unit to bypass the VATS immobilizer during remote start.  How you use the resistors is your business but if you are worried about someone breaking into your car to steal your radio, why make it easier for them to steal the whole car?
Soldering is fun!
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

kreg357 wrote:
why make it easier for them to steal the whole car?

Nice point.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
blahmonster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Seriously? It's easy to steal a radio and get away with it. You can break into a car, steal the radio, and sell it without much of a problem, but a car is much more difficult to dispose of. No one's going to steal my car - the entire vehicle books out at less than $2k, and the parts are worthless....what would be the point? Anyways, moving on...
Anyways, is there a way to add an alarm to this unit, or would I have to buy an entirely different system?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic