icon

greatest invention i am tyrying to build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
The voltage to set depends on the battery and its drain.
EG - battery varies from ~11.3V to 12.7V (fully discharged to fully charged; Open Circuit voltage).
Cranking batteries normally should not be discharged more than 30% (& deep cycle no more than 50% for good life).
Hence - using my conservative rule of 0.1V per 10% discharge, 30% discharged is 12.7 - 0.3V = 12.4V.
So you want to set the voltage to an open-circuit voltage of 12.3V to 12.4V.
But that might be 11.5V or 11.0V depending on the load (and battery internal resistance - which increases as the battery discharges).
10V is too low. (Even under very high discharge rates - even UPS batteries at a 10 minute discharge rate are rarely taken as low as 10V, though they are AGM batteries....)
As to what is enough to crank the vehicle - you will simple have to trial and error. Calculations could be done for a known battery and vehicle assuming reasonable staring time, but as the battery ages or temperatures drop or....
And you don't want a COx sensor in the box, nor car - you want it wherever living things are likely to be effected.
But hopefully the bbq'er will notice people passing out and be able to stop the vehicle - unless they too have passed out, or the vehicle is locked etc.
dablakmark8 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
The voltage to set depends on the battery and its drain.
EG - battery varies from ~11.3V to 12.7V (fully discharged to fully charged; Open Circuit voltage).
Cranking batteries normally should not be discharged more than 30% (& deep cycle no more than 50% for good life).
Hence - using my conservative rule of 0.1V per 10% discharge, 30% discharged is 12.7 - 0.3V = 12.4V.
So you want to set the voltage to an open-circuit voltage of 12.3V to 12.4V.
But that might be 11.5V or 11.0V depending on the load (and battery internal resistance - which increases as the battery discharges).
10V is too low. (Even under very high discharge rates - even UPS batteries at a 10 minute discharge rate are rarely taken as low as 10V, though they are AGM batteries....)
As to what is enough to crank the vehicle - you will simple have to trial and error. Calculations could be done for a known battery and vehicle assuming reasonable staring time, but as the battery ages or temperatures drop or....
And you don't want a COx sensor in the box, nor car - you want it wherever living things are likely to be effected.
But hopefully the bbq'er will notice people passing out and be able to stop the vehicle - unless they too have passed out, or the vehicle is locked etc.
But hopefully the bbq'er will notice people passing out and be able to stop the vehicle - unless they too have passed out, or the vehicle is locked etc
Thanks again,i am beginning to understand more about car batteries.
I think the comment in bold is very funny and i burst put laughing just now
the only interesting answers are the one that destroys the question.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

I think a CO detector exposed in the vehicle would be better then nothing.  Like other things, you would have to trial it out.  I would think if you detect even low amounts of CO inside the car that would indicate that it isn't outside.  There would be quite a bit of lag on it, but it is better then nothing at all.

The sensor looks pretty straight forward - you would just need to determine where you would want the cut off and run it through an adc.  I think, in this case, it really could be that easy!

Kevin Pierson
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2011 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

Dei has some stand alone remote starters that accomplish this with minimum hassle and are programmable, as regard minimum voltage and run time for re-charge, and isn't that costly, imo. Can i get a link to kevin's site please? Or a web address? Sadly the heading of this topic made for dissapointment had it not been for the input of howard, the oldspark and KP.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2011 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
And frankly Peter and I were taking the wiz, Kevin was tying to shut the poster up with knowledge!
Look at his profile, I think he also mentions his company in one of these posts, Google it.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2011 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah - I googled... Some links don't work but you will find stuff...
I think I said something akin to "it's a good idea, but stupid" - ie, it seems like a good idea until you really think about it. (In tis case though, it may may need a bit of expertise - like the auto-starters that you guys know about, and battery behavior that I know about, and safety that most experienced know about.
(Maybe a cat-converter to convert CO2 to CO since CO doesn't kill...?)
[That's a joke - a medical student once wrote that...]
Anyone seen my wheel? I don't want to have to invent it again!
dablakmark8 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
My project is not complete yet due to a voice activated project for a mark3 golf.i will post a video of the finished project in 3 weeks time
the only interesting answers are the one that destroys the question.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
tic tok tik toc....
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Oh no please Peter do I need this tosh at 6:26 a.m.?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah - sorry.
But this post just appeared in front of me (keys ahead of the buffer again?).
I read and just had to...
Blame it on too much grass.
(See my other "sweat" reply!)
BTW - England nil. The other team will win.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic