icon

2002 dodge ram ultra start 1272

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
a.beam.reach 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I successfully installed a Ultra Start U1271M on my 2003 Dodge Manual two weeks ago and I went to help a friend install a Ultra Start 1272 (newer design) on his 2002 Dodge Automatic. I figured his would be much easier given the fact it was an automatic. . . . BUT the wiring was not consistent with the diagrams.
We got it all done and the truck starts, the heater blower works. .. we thought we were done but after 30 seconds of running or so there is an odd loud squeal coming from the engine compartment. . . . when you put the key in and turn it to the ignition position the squeal goes away but if we take the key out the sound returns immediately. We thought we had the wiring all correct but as I said, the wiring and diagrams were not always consistent. The truck is a 2002 model but built in August 2001 so we had to jump between the two diagrams. There are diagrams for a 2002-2003 and diagrams for a 1998-2001
The wires we had questions about are the two ignition wires. The 2002-2003 diagram shows a blue (16 gauge) and that their are two RED / white (16 gauge wires). The truck only had one constant 12v+ red / white so we followed the 1998-2001 diagram which showed a blue and BLACK/ white wire. They both tested as ignition. The Ultra Start 1272 had a white wire that says it is a selectable output (default ignition) but I see no jumpers on the unit to select the output. This is odd but because the default said it was ignition I did not worry about it. We did find jumpers on the unit to select the parking light wire polarity.
The other two wires that were a bit in question were the accessory wires. The 1998-2001 diagram shows that there is only one wire. . . a BLACK/ orange .. . but it was not there. Instead as the 2002-2003 diagram suggests. . . . There were two wires. . . Green (large gauge) and orange (16 gauge). I wired in a relay to power the second wire like this:
Pin 87 to +12v constant thru 20 amp fuse.
Pin 86 to RS 1272 ACC1 output Green ( that is also connected to the trucks ACC1 (Green) wire at ignition harness).
Pin 30 to trucks ACC2 wire (orange) at ignition switch harness.
Pin 85 to RS 1272 GWR WHITE/ Violet wire.
Anyone have an idea of what we did wrong? What is the squeal and what do we need to do to fix it?
Thanks in advance.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

On the U1272 model the White Selectable heavy gauge output is controlled thru Option Menu Programming.  Program Mode 3, Setting  1.  Once you program it, a unit reset will not cause it to return to the default setting like all the other program options.

Soldering is fun!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

Dodge Ram 150?   Here is info from AudioVox. 

Battery  RED  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  

Ignition 1  DRK. BLUE (16 AWG)  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  
 Ignition 2  RED OR RED / WHITE  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  
  Ignition 3    
 Accessory 1  BLACK/ WHITE AND BLUE  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  
 Accessory 2  BLACK/ ORANGE  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  
 Accessory 3  GREEN AND ORANGE  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS  
 Starter 1  YELLOW  (+)  IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

You might need another relay for ACC3...   Really need to verify exerything with a DMM.

Soldering is fun!
a.beam.reach 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Kreg. We'll try going back through the wires with the DMM. I would like to clarify that the noise we are hearing is more of a loud buzzing rather that a squeal. Does it sound like we are not powering something that should or powering something that shouldn't?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic