Hooking Up 2 More Alternators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

kenwood_nut wrote:
In over 30 years around car audio, I've NEVER seen anyone with more than ONE alternator! Why would you want to do this? Who gave you the idea? I've seen some $50,000+ systems at some IASCA competitions and still never seen anyone running more than one alternator, even in systems pumping out several thousand watts.
Get a Capacitor or two and you'll be fine.

Having been around it for 30 years, and IASCA competitions i dont know how you have never seen the bronco built buy Garry Biggs and Alma Gates.  It has won many IASCA events and was very popular with a rediculous amount of publicity since one of the builders was a 70 year old grandma.  It had 12 alternators i believe.  multi alternators has been done, many times.  I have never done it myself so i cannot offer any advice, but here is some proof for you that it can be done. 

Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 5 -- posted image.

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
I liked....
kenwood_nut wrote:
Get a Capacitor or two and you'll be fine.
Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 5 -- posted image. Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 5 -- posted image. Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 5 -- posted image. Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 5 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
And that truck has a hell of a lot more underhood room than a Golf, so in the real world.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
If "real" constant-power PSU (SMPS) amps were used, fine - but since all indications are that they or most aren't, I cannot understand why ANYONE would want amps supplied by anything OTHER than the alternator.
Batteries are only for alternator short-falls like low speeds and engine off (plus other changes in load, and filtering).
Caps are only to protect low-ESR batteries (AGMs) and a few rare situations - but NEVER extra or prolonged power. (It reminds me of using batteries/UPS instead of long-term emergency power supplies - misunderstood & expensive!)
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I have 2 250amp alt being made what kind and size battery u all think and will last
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I think a 12V battery. A 1.2AH should last.
You can figure the capacity yourself. How long do you want it to last at what current? That gives AH or Am (Amp-Hours or Amp-minutes) which you match to the battery.
If that "reserve time" isn't that capacity you are after, then what?
Will a battery last in terms of life span?
A wet cell will, an AGM probably won't. That assumes the amp is a real thumper that stresses the battery(s).
You could add more batteries to reduce that stress, or (as commonly done for AGMs) - add a cap.
But all the above might be academic if you alternator is fast and copious enough, or if your amp is a good design and has a reasonable tank circuit.
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thank you ok scince their is going to be 2 more a total of 3 atl shuld I get a battery for each one or just 2 batterys one for stero and one for car or just get 3 one for car and 2 for stero
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
Yes - it is your decision.
I don't know what you criterion are.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
And Peter, another comment about reading this at 6:28am.
Since it's now about 4:30pm where you are what are today's English soccer results going to be?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
Soccer? I don't take socker with my coffee.
And yes, I see a time when audio forums should be banned for National Security reasons. I'm starting to recognise the "one battery per amp" and 100AH per kW rules....
Plus the "need lower ESR" but "remove caps for higher peak SPLs" contradictions.
I haven't got the heart to say the "one battery per amp" is "one battery per Amp" not per amplifier, hence 100 batteries for a 1kW output system (based on the 1kW = 100A rule). (I might start another one of Richard's "use a cap - no, I changed my mind" legacies - there are too many already!)
Sorry, it's 18:10 here. I'm dripping sweat from mowing the lawns.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic