icon

Hooking Up 2 More Alternators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
Acetone, do you work for the Pentagon on defence procurement, you know redesign the hammer and then buy them sat $1,000 each?
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
Huh
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
acetone - do you mean you have the 15kW alternator but can't get a bracket?
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
O no no no no no I wish that would be the tits I am just getting 2 250amp alt
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry - I must be confusing 15kW system. Two in the one year is a bit much.... LOL.
2 x 250 should be ok for 4kW - provided they can be paralleled. (Otherwise, next time maybe.)
Just search for brackets. You know what type of alternators they are.
Or ask those that wound them or that you bought them off.
I presume one fits already, you need to add #2.
I consider that part of the original design - select an alternator that bolts in the easiest. If the serpentine belt is aligned (and the rotation direction is ok (especially if it is mounted - or loops the serpentine - in the opposite direction), then how it bolts on is secondary. Many side-bolt types are easier to mount than the typical pivot types.
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
I am getting 2 more than the one I already have I talk to a guy he said he make one for around $500 witch seems a lil much trying to find a chepper place or guy
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
A link I found earlier... Zena - they do 500A etc.
No idea on the price, but rather than having to balance/match for parallel operation....
Better one 500A than 2 parallel 250A.
You can run the 500 or 250+250 separate to the standard alternator; the 500A with its own battery(s).
PS - I just saw that the Zena 250A is over USD$1,000.
Larger outputs are achieved by adding more units with interconnected regulators.
So $500 is cheap for a quality 250A parallelable alternator.
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
I was reading a while back and was comparing 2 300 and 2 250amp alt and peoole say the 300amp life span is not as good as 250 and I dont know it thats true but if so I have no clue about a 500amp alt but I gunna guess very pricey
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
That's probably because they are rewound OEM alternators.
The bigger you rewind them, the weaker they are - eg, they do not have a heat inertia so they burn out faster in overload situations.
It's the same with 250A, by 350A will be worse.
Hence why rewinds keep blowing up.
Zena mention similar on their site - see their Powerful alternators for exotic, high current demand, auto sound systems - or was it here here?
Oh well, they mention so much good stuff like needing caps for the faster reacting audio requirement and having floating outputs for those that insist on "absolute ground" etc - they are things that can even be controversial on this site but are ambiguous enough to seem consistent with many audio forums' or users' advice.
But it is a reasonably quick overview of alternators.
And I like their FIVE points (in their Powerful alternators... link - whether #1 that suggest why bigger batteries are or may be needed AS WELL AS a bigger alternator (despite my suggestions otherwise), or ESPECIALLY #3 about needing to "know the peak, minimum, and average power requirements of your stereo system. Without this data you simply cannot properly determine how much alternator capacity that you require."... hmmm - that concept sounds familiar...
Back to larger alternators, overloads etc will get a much stronger reaction, but that is part of the alternator design and should make no difference. There are diode that handle thousands of Amps etc. (I wonder if Bosch have beefed up theirs? Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 7 -- posted image. )
By the sounds of it, this is another situation where spending less costs more. (Like Born Again batteries, or buying standby batteries instead of cyclic...)
Page of 7

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic