icon

power consumption

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
What a waste of a battery! (For the sake of a cheap DMM.)
At least you didn't buy an expensive AGM of similar AH thinking it would last longer. (From what I've read, logically they'd flatten faster because they "supply voltage quicker or faster than the higher-resistance wet cells. power consumption - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. )   
I've just gone through half of Bill Darden's BatteryFAQ. It's amazing how much of that he covers. (I mean re battery checks - that "faster" bit comes from Forums!) Concisely too - though many would probably miss the detail.
It reminded me of my omissions re changing voltage to suit the batteries (eg wet-cell vs. AGM), and thence the mixing of AGMs & wet-cells in dual-battery systems because most don't change voltage. Plus it often does not matter (depending on the combination).
My only worry was I'd criticise his jump starting "negative post last" (because of sparks), but not so - it's "negative connection last" (to the chassis etc).
Funny how that is so misinterpreted!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
But the first poster is missing all the points here.
Engage your brain and find a way to trickle charge the battery.
The answer is simple charge the effing battery!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
If only someone could invent a self-car-start car charger!
(That's in jest. But I may add it to my $200 2.5kW AC generator with 12V@10A output as a POC.)
PS - I linked Bill Darden's BatteryFAQ in charging agm battery - 5th Reply, December 08, 2010 at 10:06 AM. I though it was in this thread....
is200_turbo 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2010 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  
i dont think im missing the points here i have asked for advice and all advice is being taken on board.
With regards to charging the "effing Battery" i had hoped a new battery would last more than the 3 weeks has i was working out the country for this period of time so to come back to a flat battery was a little surprising, its all good and well saying charge the "effing battery" but i had no idea a new one would only last 3 weeks when the battery in my other car lasted longer than that and started on the button no problem.
i have a Solar charger on the dashboard trickling in but guess thats not enough so have invested in a trickle charger, still doesn't explain why the battery is going flat though so there must be a drain somewhere so weather permitting all items will be metered at there respective fuse positions to obtain current readings.
The topic was started to identify the power consumption of major components in the car which have now been answered, so i will combine those readings and cross reference with the readings i am getting.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2010 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
So you transferred all your components from the other car...
Which also had the same parasitic draw and battery size?
That is interesting.
But if the above isn't true, then the draw from this new vehicle is higher.
If a battery loses charge, it is either a faulty battery or there is a current drain.
Usually the latter is checked before replacing the battery - unless you can test the battery itself.
The other check before buying a new battery is the charging system in case the battery is being undercharged and hence failing.
Both the current drain and the charging voltage can be checked with a multimeter. They are a worthwhile investment and much cheaper than replacement batteries.
Finding the drain is a matter of working down the flinks & fuses from the battery (ie, remove & replace; see when the drain appears/disappears).
The draw of individual components may not be that relevant assuming your battery is supposed to last with those components - ie, many vehicles with certain alarms and systems will NOT last more than a week or 2.
It may be a leak or a faulty component your are chasing in which case equipment ratings are irrelevant (until the drain is located).
BTW - many reckon a 5W solar charger is ok. I find that surprising considering the float current for a typical car battery is 1A - ie, 12W. Add to that a 50% solar cycle and over 20W is required.
But 5W - no way! 5W will only prevent discharge of a ~400mA load during sun time.
I suspect 5W panels are sold for their profit and because there is no need for a voltage regulator. Anything that did charge a battery must be regulated - ie, limited to ~14.5V.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
All I was trying to state, rather obvious if you tot the power consumptions up is that the LED ALONE will do in the average battery in about 10 days!
I think that's your problem. If you want to take it further, see Oldspark's last post.
Any amps or audio fitted and incorrectly wired?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic