icon

2001 chevy tahoe hu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spittin2rock 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'm running on a little budget but i would like a nice HU with nice features for my truck because the factory CD player isn't working.  I've settled on a touch screen HU from China.   The link is below with detailed pics of the HU.  I know it might be a mistake buying this but it's only going to be temporary until I can get a quality Alpine HU.  Anyways, this is a Double Din unit which I'm pretty sure my truck has a Double Din cabinet.  I've never installed a double din HU before but I've installed a single din unit in my 98 Ford Explorer.  My question is will I need some type of din adapter for this HU to mount completey in or will it just mount in with nothing additional?  Also I'm going to go ahead and install my amp and sub while I'm at it.  What is the best way to run a 4 gauge cable from the battery to the inside.  Should I just try to go through the steering or I seen some installers drill a hole through the firewall.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
First of all, your truck does not accept a double din unit.  It may look like it will fit, but modifications are needed.  I would suggest you wait till you can afford the Alpine Unit.  China decks without a brand name on them are JUNK.  A 4Ga wire is not needed to power this or any other deck.
spittin2rock 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well the 4 gauge wire will be used to power my amp not the HU.  I'm not completely illerate when it comes to this stuff.  So for my head unit I should just have to install a single din unit?
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
spittin2rock wrote:
Well the 4 gauge wire will be used to power my amp not the HU.  I'm not completely illerate when it comes to this stuff.  So for my head unit I should just have to install a single din unit?
If you weren't completely illiterate when it came to this stuff you wouldn't have made this post...
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
You can install a double din unit in that truck.  Just an idea though, we charge 50 dollars labor to install a single din unit.  We get 200 dollars to install a double din in those vehicles.  Just to give you an idea of how much work it is to get it to look good.
spittin2rock 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

First of all douche bag... if you're not going to post civilized answers then don't post at all.  And obviously you didn't read the entire thread.  The other guy though I was going to try to use a 4 gauge wire to power my head unit.  So if you had any type of education whatsoever you wouldn't have replied to my comment with that comment jerk off....

spittin2rock 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
You can install a double din unit in that truck.  Just an idea though, we charge 50 dollars labor to install a single din unit.  We get 200 dollars to install a double din in those vehicles.  Just to give you an idea of how much work it is to get it to look good.

Ok so basically, what you are saying is that a double din will not fit in there without additional mods done and that wouldn't be an easy task to complete?

i am an idiot 
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
That is pretty much what I was saying.  It is not difficult to do, just time consuming to make it look good.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
haha
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
spittin2rock 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
That is pretty much what I was saying.  It is not difficult to do, just time consuming to make it look good.

Understood... thanks for your knowledge.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic