the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 chevy tahoe hu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
in that truck, unless you can find a rubber or plastic gromet to cut and pass the 4ga through it is best that you find a spot to drill a hole. me personally i would normally drill a hole anyway to avoid the headache of trying to pass that big wire through such a tight spot but to each his own.
unless you plan on doing a bunch of cutting and modifying, both to the interior of your dash and the outer trim, i would suggest you go with a single din unit. truthfully, if you have to settle for something "cheap" from china, i would just get something thats brand name, but basic, for now. until you have the money to get what you want. nowadays you can get something with decent features, but without the dvd player and screen, for a good price as long as you are not looking for something with bluetooth.
if you can live without the screen for now i would suggest doing that because i cant tell you how many people ive done work for and installed those cheap cheap in-dash tv's for who come back to me a month later, or even the day after and tell me to take the darn thing out. 200-300 bucks might seem like a lot for a in dash tv but it really isnt, its actually about bare minimum for what you can pay for one new. when it comes to ANYTHING car audio related you usually get what you pay for.
i understand you just need a temporary solution for now but that is no reason to throw your money away like that. buy something basic, but built with quality, and you might be able to sell it later when the time comes.
spittin2rock 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
in that truck, unless you can find a rubber or plastic gromet to cut and pass the 4ga through it is best that you find a spot to drill a hole. me personally i would normally drill a hole anyway to avoid the headache of trying to pass that big wire through such a tight spot but to each his own.
unless you plan on doing a bunch of cutting and modifying, both to the interior of your dash and the outer trim, i would suggest you go with a single din unit. truthfully, if you have to settle for something "cheap" from china, i would just get something thats brand name, but basic, for now. until you have the money to get what you want. nowadays you can get something with decent features, but without the dvd player and screen, for a good price as long as you are not looking for something with bluetooth.
if you can live without the screen for now i would suggest doing that because i cant tell you how many people ive done work for and installed those cheap cheap in-dash tv's for who come back to me a month later, or even the day after and tell me to take the darn thing out. 200-300 bucks might seem like a lot for a in dash tv but it really isnt, its actually about bare minimum for what you can pay for one new. when it comes to ANYTHING car audio related you usually get what you pay for.
i understand you just need a temporary solution for now but that is no reason to throw your money away like that. buy something basic, but built with quality, and you might be able to sell it later when the time comes.

You do have a point.  I think I'm going to pass on the China off brand because like you said you get what you pay for in Car Audio.  I found a decent Jenson that actually fits my budget.  I had Jenson in my Honda and it did great justice in my Honda.  I had a Jenson HU and a Jenson amp powering a Audiobahn sub.  It sounded hella crisp and clean.  I've been pretty satisfied with Jenson and would go back.  So I'm going to take your advice and install a single din unit. 

I've never drilled a hole through a firewall before.  I'm sure it can't be to hard.  The only challenge I think I will run into is finding the spot to execute the hole to make sure I don't hit anything on both ends.  I do have a question though... Should I drill from inside the car out or the other way around?  Again everyone's knowledge is appreciated.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
drill from the inside, and all you have to do in order to not drill through something important is look for points of reference that go through both sides of the firewall. this could be the accelerator line, the steering column, a wire harness, etc. once you have a point of reference to go by, just look for open spots on the inside of the firewall that you can get to with your drill and use your reference point to check if the same spot is clear in the engine compartment. also most firewalls are one layer of sheet metal so once you punch through the first layer you should be able to take the drill out and see light through your hole. if you dont see any light try to push something like a flexible rod or a long zip tie through your hole and check to see if it comes through the other side. if it is still hard to get something through then you should just double check where you are drilling your hole.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

If you're looking firewall from the inside of the truck you should see a rubber grommet that is to the left of the brake pedal and up a little higher. If you go just to the left of this you can drill through this spot. Drill a small pilot hole and then push a pick tool through so that you can see where it comes through. There's some fabric heat shielding covering the firewall from the engine bay so you won't usually just see your drilled hole or light without poking a pick tool through.

I've pulled 8ga through this grommet, but even the 8 ga is difficult to pull. 4 gauge is quite a bit tougher to pull through. I'd much rather drill a hole in this vehicle. Just make sure you seal up the hole well after you've got your wire run.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic