icon

06 explorer remote start issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ninety4formula 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I installed a remote starter (python 1400xp) on a customers car (06 explorer)and it is working intermittently. It seems like when it is really cold out is mainly when it is having problems. Every time I go to work on it I can't get it to replicate the problem. They said that sometimes it will start and other times it will try to do a half crank and it won't do anymore. What is the required voltage and amperage for the remote start to operate? I know the truck has the original battery, but I wasn't sure if there was a minimum required voltage and amperage for the remote start to run. It seems like after the truck is warmed up that it will work constantly. The other problem that I had was I originally installed a DEI 556uw and wanted to replace it with a XK05 and I couldn't get that one to program properly even after I flashed it to the proper firmware according to Xpresskits program. Not sure if that might help out with any problems or not. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance guys
ceasar326 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Are u using virtualtach, voltage or tach wire?
ninety4formula 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
ceasar326 wrote:
Are u using virtualtach, voltage or tach wire?
I am using a tach signal from a fuel injector.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

As for the XK05 not working -

Double check your TX/RX wiring.  On the 2006 Explorer TX should be Yellow/Orange at Pin 3
and RX should be Violet/Grey at Pin 4.
The other possibility is the keys.  You need two working, unique, non-clone keys to program the XK05.

Cold weather can be a problem with the 556SW or PKU-F2 bypass units and the types that use a pellet. 

With the 556UW, check the key placement in the box and the antenna location on the ignition cylinder.
Might even try switching the 18 / 60 windings jumper on the 556UW.

Soldering is fun!
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
I recently was having an intermitent issue with my Viper 5701. Started being a problem as soon as the weather turned cold. Turned out to be a loose ground wire.  Might be something else to check on yours.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
ninety4formula 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

As for the XK05 not working -

Double check your TX/RX wiring.  On the 2006 Explorer TX should be Yellow/Orange at Pin 3
and RX should be Violet/Grey at Pin 4.
The other possibility is the keys.  You need two working, unique, non-clone keys to program the XK05.

Cold weather can be a problem with the 556SW or PKU-F2 bypass units and the types that use a pellet. 

With the 556UW, check the key placement in the box and the antenna location on the ignition cylinder.
Might even try switching the 18 / 60 windings jumper on the 556UW.

I'm not sure about the keys with the XK05. I know that both keys start the vehicle. I have tried the RX and TX wires and swapping them around like the trouble shooting guide says and that didn't do anything. When I went to program it the security light was flashing quickly and then just went to the normal flash sequence, but it never stopped flashing no matter what I did.
If I can't get that working then I can leave in the 556uw temporarily but they ultimately don't want to lose a key. I will try to switch the jumper. I've never had any problems in the past with this bypass unless the antenna wasn't properly around the key cylinder. I have checked that and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Thanks for the ideas, it at least gives me some more things to try.
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Could be the battery. Funny stuff happens when it's older. Also try voltage at a 1.2 sec crank. The truck has a over crank protection on it.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2010 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
Two thoughts:
1. As far as the failing to start when cold - an injector should be a fine tach source, so the problem is more likely to do with the bypass. (I've always found Ford keys to be extremely sensitive to antenna ring positioning when they're cold, and recommend using a data bypass on any Ford/Mazda products.)
2. With regard to the XK05 not programming to the vehicle - I've never tried to use the PKTI firmware on a Ford product. However, I've installed many remote starts with the XK04/PKFM and encountered what seems like a failure to program, and AFAIK isn't documented by Xpresskit/Directed.
Basically, when attempting to program the bypass, I'd turn the ignition on with each key in sequence, and then when it actually came time to remote start the vehicle, it would try and fail to start, and the theft light on the vehicle would flash rapidly.
However, if I followed that up by turning the ignition on and off with one of the keys, and letting the vehicle sit for a minute, it would remote start just fine.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic