icon

what security to sell

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
The Valet button on the Antenna is a GREAT feature...Need to program a  remote...10 seconds...Need to change some programmable features(activation count,crank time,etc,,,)...10 seconds...Code is solid...They seem to have antenna issues through all their lines(example the 4050,5050,aps901,but sent replacement antennas right away). Dont have to drop a dash(if valet button wasnt mounted)...Also works as a visual deterrent(L.E.D. flashing on remote starts)...Takes a little time off the install by NOT mounting valet and L.E.D. Also easier for customers that actually use the valet feature...Just a few thoughts...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
cjanke 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
What's up "tommy" how is buisness going? What are you guys using for r/s security these days.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2010 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

just reading the additional posts, and i agree that dei is not the system you want to stock to get most bang for your buck. There are many companies offering amazing products. Its ultimatly what you feel comfortable installing, and if you need to make changes, how long does it take.

For myself i use compustar with either idatalink blade OR fortin bypasses. Often i go more the fortin bypass because it is much more cost effective for me. I sometimes have to use idata because a vehicle platform isnt supported by fortin.

With that being said, compustar is on the steep side for a 2way system. I have done dei products befor (viper and python mainly, and a few cliffords) but i found programming to be hard, the design of the wiring (xcrs) and cables plugging in from all 4 sides of the brain was messy for me when installing- when compared to compustar, since i have the usb adapter, all changes can be done to the brain and the firmware can also be updated for better support/bug fixes (if any)

Remember, this is just my opinion. cheers !

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
ccbuick04 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2010 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
boy do i ever agree on the wires  coming out of all directions. It just sucks
allen101 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

Boy I can't believe how much help I have received from everyone here. Y'all are a great help, more than I could have ever imagined.  Also a unbelievable encouragement to start installing full-time again, Thank you thank you. What can I do about dealerships that want to upgrade the factory Key-Fob only or a Key-Fob with the company logo on it ( honda, ford, ect.) ?

Cjanke-   I have'nt decided on a company yet, but I do know it will be prestige/code or compustar. Yes the programming sucks, but I won't let that stop me from selling or installing prestige. I will have the programming down after a couple more installs. Thanks for the programming tip too.

Twelvoltz-  I installed my alarms and remote starts as if you or another installer were going to judge my install work. Now speed is not one of my strong points. The only way I see myself selling Dei,  is if they called me. I will have the programming down for Prestige once I install a few more.

Tommy- For now the only cool feature I see coming from the valet/led/antenna in one location, is the install time.

Tedmond- I will have to agree with you that Dei is not the product for me and I should install a product I feel comfortable with. Thanks for the Compustar suggestion and all the bypass modules you use but for now my decision is up in the air.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  

well many would use the dei add on starter, but really all companies offer a unit as a single button starter or has the feature for an activation input for "add on"

ultra start is also a very good company that makes full alarm/rs/start add on units. If you need more question about ultra start, ask Kregs. He installs quite a few ultra and compustar products.

here are my pro and cons about compustar(honest review)

pros:

1) all compustar brains utilize the same wiring, therefore you can upgrade the brain without having to do a whole new removal/install

2) updatable brain via usb for software changes, changes on the brain can be done electronicall (similar to a hand help bitwriter)
3) fully customizable unit for addition aux, outputs, etc
4) range is fantastic
5) only 3 brains to pick from either alarm(cm6300), Start (cm6200), alarm/start (cm6000)
6) remote kits are sold seperate from the brain to best suit your install.
For example if you want to add on a start, you can use the cm6200 without any remotes. this keeps dealers happy that do not want branding.
7 - knock pad if you forget your keys
8) idatalink blade makes install so clean and less cluttered

cons:

1)price is not as competitive as most companies on the market
2) the remote/antenna are sold as a package, seperate from the brain. This is good (reason number 6 in pros) and also bad because you wont know what remotes to stock to best suit your customers.
3) pit stop mode has a 4 second delay (not huge but i wonder why it cant be instant like most of the leading companies)
4) idatalink modules are pricey, but damn they work well.
5) no custom changes to the brain can be done without a compustar OP500 programmer OR iDataLink ADS-USB

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic