icon

broken connector on alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kbirdjr 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a Prestige APS997C and I accidentally pulled one of the wires out of the connector and now I can't get it to stay put. I think I might have broken off the tab that holds everything together. It is a tiny white plastic connector that only has one wire going in to it with a metal crimp on piece that is supposed to hold the wire in the connector. I don't have a picture of it right now but could get one if it would help. What I need is to find someplace to get a new connector just like the one I broke since it plugs in to the main alarm unit. Can anyone point me to a resource that would have connectors like that?
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
maybe a picture would help? can you not just solder straight to the brain then maybe put a male spade and female spade on the wire coming off of it.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

what i have done before in similar situations is plug the harness in, plug the messed up wire in and then tightly double or tripple zip tie it to each of the wires next to it.

maybe it would work for you?

what duty does the wire perform?

post a pic of the plug, maybe someone has an old plug around.

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2010 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
If the metal connector has come off in one piece, there will be attachment hooks in it you can open up to "clip" it in again. If it has come out but broken it's a Molex mini (I'm just guessing but that white plastic plug with a locking pin, one side centre is pretty universal in the alarm business) it's silly but you can only buy them in 100 quantities or try a Radio Shack. Or open up the plug with a 1/8" drill very carefully, insert the cable after replacing the plug and carefully solder the wire back in.
If part of the metal is still there then solder the wire back to the plug and as mentioned above zip tie it to some adjacent wires.
The reason is some loom manufacturers over crimp those connectors.
Don't worry we've probably all been there.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2010 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  

i think my previos post might be worthless since i just noticed you said it was a connector with one wire in it.

but i still wonder .... whats it go to?

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2010 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
In the newer "C" Prestige models, Audiovox moved to an integrated antenna/valet-programming switch/LED, however the brain connectors all remained the same.   In the previous models, the antenna connector was 3 or 4 wires, the Switch connector was 2 wires, and the LED connector was 2 wires---each of these connectors mated with a cable connector populated with the corresponding number of wires.   In the new models, the Antenna cable use 3 wires (one way) or 4 wires (2 way) at the brain; the switch input uses one wire at the brain(still plugs into a 2 position connector), and the LED cathode uses one wire at the brain(still plugs into a 2 position connector).   The issue kbirdjr is running into is a broken LED connector--the tiny white connector.  I PM'd him with a source for another connector with an LED on it;  he can choose to either use the new LED, or cut off  the LED and the unneeded anode wire on the new connector, connect the cathode wire from his alarm/RS to the new connector's cathode wire and he should be all set.  
Lectric Guy
kbirdjr 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the replies, sorry I didn't post results sooner. I found a local shop that was nice enough to replace the end for me. Lectricguy, I did see your PM and apperciate the info. If the current fix doesn't work I will try geting an end from a LED, I think I even have an old one laying around somewhere just hadn't thought of that yet.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic