alarm/remote starter killing battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dbell34 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

sean11901 wrote:
wiring it in d2d wont solve your problem. you could have a defective module or remote start, i would go with what everyone else is saying and do a parasitice power draw test. first remove the 2 fuses from the remote starts power wires, then disconnect the car batterys negative wire and use a dmm to meause the amount of amps that is being drawn. then put the fuses back in the remote start , remote start the vehicle, shut it down then test the draw on the battery, since you say it only happens when you remote start the vehicle.

I will just have to probe the module and the remote start for 12v because if I try to do the draw test, once I put the dmm inline I don't have enough power for the remote start to work. That would be the only way for me to test the draw after a remote start. Thanks for the suggestion.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Back to old school, inductive ammeter.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Do you let the car remote start and let it time out? One of my customer's car had the same issue. Actually thanks to his troubleshooting we noticed that his auto lights stayed on after remote start shut down. We had to pulse a wire during crank and it took care of the issue.
dbell34 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
No I haven't let it time out. What does letting it timeout do? How did you find out the lights were staying on, was it visual or you tested the wires?
dbell34 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
I finally figured it out. It seems that there was something wrong with my bypass module. I replaced it and now everything seems to be all well. Thanks for all the help!
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
This happened to me awhile back when I used the GWR (ground while running) wire for the bypass module as well as for a relay- WITHOUT diode isolating them--- the relay was holding in by "grounding" through the bypass module- drew 150 ma whenever not in use- and only after a remote start- Did you try to power more than one item with your GWR wire?
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic