icon

2002 mdx, viper 5301 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dprairie 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks,  I have the diagram for the ReadyRemote, the 5301 is a bit thougher.

So probably no dome light connection needed.

Do you recommend using the door trigger connection?

I am using the passenger side panel lock and unlock for the arm/disarm as noted on a few posts here.  Would agree with this?  Will it work as well?  Was much easier to find these connections.

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, the Viper units are designed towards the professional installers and are more complex.  Here is a link to the 5301 Install guide in the Downloads section  :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=832

Read it several times and then do a search on anything that isn't explained well, as it was probably asked and answered already.

There are many places / wires that a particular signal can be found and used to achieve a good working install.  The guides are usually a good starting point but all wires should be verified with a Digital Multi Meter before any connections made.

Soldering is fun!
dprairie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

Yes I have all the diagrams and install manual.  Have poured through these the last day and a half. 

I have the unit installed now but the remote start comes back with a neutrul switch error #8.  I checked and redid the chassis ground with no luck.  I am wondering since this a refurb unit if I purchased a faulty brain unit.

I am in automatic mode for the transmission.

I am sure there are maybe 1-2 wires I need to correct.  For example the horn function is not working and I did not connect the door trigger.

Short of going to an installer can you offer any suggestions.

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Check the BLACK/ White (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH INPUT wire.  That should be connected to either chassis ground, (-) Parking
Brake signal or an actual (-) transmission neutral vehicle wire.  For test purposes just connect directly to chassis ground and try a remote
start.
Soldering is fun!
dprairie 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

That is exactly what I did according to the install manual for automatic transmission vehicles.  However the error still occurs.  I am using one chassis ground for all ground wires on the install.  I drilled a hole below the driver side fuse box, sanded to bare metal and used a self tapping screw.  That is the problem and why I wonder if the unit is faulty.

Would there be any support from DEI?

kreg357 
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Is there a Neutral Safety ON/OFF switch?  That should be set to ON.  Or you could jump a good ground right at the contact of the BLACK/ White wire at the connector to the Viper itself.  DEI tech support is worth a try but they might suggest you return to the seller of the unit for service / repair / replacement.  Standard policy is no warranty unless the unit is installed by an authorized dealer.
Soldering is fun!
handymandan 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Finally figured it out.  In the actually user manual an error 8 could be the neutral switch or the kill switch, which I had not installed.  After I put this in the system works beautifully.

My only problem now is find the horn wire.  It is not the lt. blue/green wire in the steering column as all the diagrams indicate.  How would you locate the wire?

handymandan
handymandan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

Found the horn wire.  It is a Blue/White wire in a four pin connector under the ignition!!  Not the blue/green.

Now I have another issue or two.

1.  Climate control does not turn on with Remote Start, only with key in on position.  Kind of defeats the purpose of remote start.

2.  Key will not shut off vehicle when moved to on position then to off after remote start.  Only if I hit brake will viper disengage.  Is this normal.

handymandan
kreg357 
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

1.) Did you power both Accessory wires? Are they both getting power from the Viper during Remote Start?

The Viper can support the ACC2 wire using the Flex relay and programming. Did you connect H3/2, H3/5
     and H3/8 to +12v constant?

ACCESSORY /HEATER BLOWER 1       YELLOW (+)                 @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

ACCESSORY /HEATER BLOWER 2       BLUE/WHITE (+)         @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

2.) After remote start you must do a "key take over" by inserting the key, turning to RUN and depressing the brake.

Then the car is off the remote starter and should shut down when you remove the key.

Soldering is fun!
handymandan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I figured this one out after I sent the post.  The yellow wire is acc 2 not ignition 2.  This is not called out anywhere that I looked.  Easy fix.

My last issue (ya right!) is that I just went and unlocked the doors and the factory alarm went off!  I had to run back in the house for the factory remote to shut it off!  The viper remote would not deactivate this.

I anticipate that becuase I only used the lock/unlock connections on the passenger side fuse box and not the connection in the driver door my factory alarm is not being disabled with the viper remote.  However I could not easily find a matching wire to what I researched for this door connection.  I did not see wires comming from the door key cylinder. 

Any last words of wisdom for my hopefully last post?

handymandan
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic