icon

remote starter in 05 equinox

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spankeds10 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

Tring to install a remote starter. I am using a compustar unit with dei 556lw and a relay wired up to do the nec voltage drop to start the truck. got it to remote start once but "security lock" light stayed on and car died out. I assume this is because it doesnt know the key resistance code. Ive tried programming the 556lw to learn the code. Followed directions, cycle key twice then start it for 10 seconds and led will flash. Problem is it doesnt flash so i dont think its programing properly. ive tried all i can think of to program but am unable. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,789
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

Does the Equinox start OK with the key?  (Just to make sure you are not in short or long tamper mode.)

Did you connect the remote starts (-) Status Output ( GWR ) to the vehicles Keysense wire?  ( If you only have one (-) Status Output wire, you must diode isolate the 556LW bypass module. )  Keysense is (-)Light Green at ignition switch or BCM gray 24 pin plug Pin A8.

Double check all the 556LWs wiring.  Ensure the Pink Ignition wire is connected and seeing +12v with ignition ON.

Soldering is fun!
spankeds10 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
It does start ok with the key. Right now the gwr wire is connected to the blue status wire on the 556lw. should it also be connected to the key sense wire on the bcm?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, Keysense should be connected to the remote starter.  Remember to diode isolate the bypass module.
Soldering is fun!
spankeds10 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
ok 2 part question.  1 - is this the reason why the 556lw wont program the resistance code and 2 - what time diode, and how is it installed? do i connect one side of the diode to the bypass module and the other to the remote starter gwr and the key sense wire? how do i now which way the diode goes? sorry if these are stupid quiestions, this is my 3rd remote start install but the one that has given me the most trouble.
kreg357 
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  

Probably not.  Keysense is required to keep Service Required light from coming on.  A standard 1N4001 diode

( available from RadioShack ) is soldered in line with the Status Out wire going to the cars Keysense wire. 
See diagram :

remote starter in 05 equinox -- posted image.

Did you power both accessory wires?  Orange and Brown wires at ignition switch.

Soldering is fun!
spankeds10 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the diagram. I know the orange one is powered but i cant remember if the brown is. Ill have to check again to double check. Do you think the 556lw is faulty since i cant get it to program?
kreg357 
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

They can be touchy to program.  The final confirmation LED flash can be difficult to notice.  Make sure all your connections are correct and soldered.  ( I have used 556LW's but because  the ignition on /off, on/off programming sequence conflicts with some remote starter programming sequences, I switched to iDatalink products a while ago. )

If both accessory wires are not powered, you can get a Passlock light.

Soldering is fun!
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
not sure about that bypass but most of the passlock 2 ones don't want you to hook up the status(ground while running wire) tell after its programed or it can learn the wrong resistance
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I always do the 2 relay trick on equinox's since my coworker was having all kinds of issues with an xk06, as well as a flcan with it learning and programming properly but would lock the customer out at randome times.
i then went ahead and bypassed it with 2 relays and a resistor and all has been well.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic