icon

viper 5701, 2002 dodge ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cdc54 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
RELAY ISOLATE GROUND W/320 OHM RESISTOR.
I'm new to this stuff and installing a Viper 5701 in a quad cab 2002 Dodge Ram.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Is this for your lock or unlock circuit?
cdc54 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
No it listed that way for the parking lights. I found the wiring on this forum.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

You would have to use a relay to interrupt the wire, but your 5701 already has a wire for this, cut the parking light wire in half and connect the WHITE/ brown to the side from the stalk and the other side to the white wire from the H1 harness with the resistor inline.

cdc54 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
I did this yesterday and while installing I could never get the
Headlights to come back on. Not sure why yet.
cdc54 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
I have just tried to install this on my 2002 Dodge Ram. I check the wires and they all seemed to be hooked up correct. I know that the yellow starter wire was cut and hooked up to the green and purple from the unit correct. But after everything was hooked up I still couldn't get the truck to start with the key. Almost it's like the unit needs to be programmed. Is this the case for all car alarms ? Do they work right out of the box or do they have to be set per each vehicle ?
Also I followed the instructions I had found for the door locks and I think I'm supposed to have a relay because from what I can tell the unit is sending out a positive impulse and the truck needs to receive a negative.
I don't think I am a stupid person but I gotta say this alarm has me guessing.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,786
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2011 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

Your truck has a one wire door lock system.  Did you use relays and resistors?  Here is a diagram from Bulldog Security :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/26500_RAM-FULL-SIZE-PICKUP-_DODGE%20RAM%201%20WIRE%20JBS%20UNITS.pdf   The top diagram is correct for your truck.

The truck should start with the key as long as the H3 connector is plugged in to the Viper.  ( I am assuming the starter does not crank. )  As a test, disconnect the H3 connector and re-connect the cut Yellow wire with a jumper.  If it still won't crank, check for a blown fuse.

Soldering is fun!
cdc54 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2011 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I did end up hooking up the yellow back together and it fired right up. But when its connected to the unit it doesn't. No ideawhatis going on.
The unit doesn't need programming does it ?
cdc54 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2011 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Also I did not use relays but did have the resistors in place. I'm starting to kind of understand this car wiring. So used to wires impairs of positive and negative like house wiring.
ctdubbin 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
by design, the starter wire circuit (aka the green and purple wires) MUST allow current to pass through, otherwise your car would ONLY start with the remote start.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic