icon

remote start, 2010 mazda 3s gt manual trans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
barttim69 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2010 Mazda 3s GT Manual Trans. I have a Viper 4202v installed with a FLCAN Bypass and it is not working. Here is the issue that I am having and I was curious to see if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it. Whenever I try to remote start my car it will crank for a sec and most of the time the car will not start. (Sounds like it only goes around 1 time). It will from time to time actually crank over and start. (10% of the time)

The installer and I have tried 3 different bypass modules (ones that will not require me to lose a key). We have changed the Tach sense line to Tach Wire and Injector wire. We have changed the tach sense from 1k RPM to 2K RPM.  We tried the unit in AT mode and had no issues at all, would crank over and start every time. Problem is liability issues and since it is a manual trans car the shop cannot do it.

The Question is would using a different Bypass mod help (like one that requires a key in the car), also are there any other suggestions for this problem?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

sounds like a wiring/bypass problem.

helped a friend do an install on his 3, and didnt run into and problems. i use fortin bypasses (key-override-all)

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  

Not familiar with the Viper model, but most remote starters force you to use Tach mode when installed on a manual transmission car.  When you switched to Automatic Transmission were you still in Tach mode?  Kinda sounds like a problem with the Viper and the Tach sensing.  Did they swap out the Viper?

I am assuming a non-PTS car, as far as the FLCAN with ADS AL(TB)-FM firmware is concerned, there is no difference between Manual and Automatic transmission........

Soldering is fun!
barttim69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

@tedmond, is there a chance you have a wiring diagram on how you wired in the remote start you did? If you do can you PM it to me.

@kreg357 when we had it in automatic trans we did not use tach mode. This is the second unit we have used. First one was a Compustar FT6200SCONT and that unit would not work at all. I will see if they will try to put another Viper one in just to see if it would work. My installer was thinking that there was a problem with communication between the brain box and the bypass mod. (like it wasn't turning on the bypas fast enough and the car would error out and not start).

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

Are you connecting the bypass via D2D or W2W?  Still assuming FLCAN with FLC AL(TB) FM firmware, its only 3 wires to run to eliminate any D2D issues. 

Soldering is fun!
barttim69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
@kreg357 the Viper 4202v uses the 5301 brain box. I am not 100% sure how he wired the bypass in. We were trying sevrel different methods to try and get it to work. It is the FLC AL(TB) FM firmware.
The thing that gets me is that it does work sometimes.
kreg357 
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
I have heard of some issues with Viper remote starts and bypass modules using the DBI protocol to communicate via D2D.  Usually with more data going back & forth due to alarms, door locks, sliding doors, tach and brake signals, etc.  Your module is only using GWR to turn on the transponder data bypass.
Soldering is fun!
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 up until 2 months ago. There is a "Neutral Sensing Wire" at the ECU near the battery that tells the ECU when the car is in gear or neutral. It shows (+12v) when in gear, and ground when in neutral. I had my remote start in Automatic mode. It would not attempt to start when in gear. The neutral wire from the ECU would be hooked up to the foot brake input of the remote start (it must be diode isolated from the real brake wire). If you try to remote start in gear, the remote start "sees" the brake being pushed and cancels.
I tapped into the neutral wire right next to where I tapped into the fuel injector wire for the tach. On the 2010 the wire is purple. Your installer can look up the location of the wire on Directechs. I can also email you a pic if you give me your email.
This would allow you to run the remote start safely in Automatic mode, and set it for tachless. I never had a problem using an injector wire, but I also used a Compustar system.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
To continue with my previous post...
The Viper system has a "neutral safety" input that needs to see ground for the unit to remote start. Typically it is just grounded by the installer. Your installer could hook it up directly to the neutral wire at the ECU. Compustar does not have that option, so I had to use the brake input.
barttim69 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
So I think I finally made some headway with it. I was tinkering with the settings a little and was able to get it remote started 3x in a row. (A New Record) What I did was changed the Tach Mode Starter Release to Increase. (Not sure if this actually helped or if it was a fluke only time will tell). Thank you guys for the help, I will keep you posted if I have any more issues with it.  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic