icon

recommend remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, it's been quite awhile since I installed a remote start system. I'm looking for a new unit for my 92 S10 pickup.  I only need keyless entry and remote start. I don't need an alarm. I also want one I can install myself. The easier the installation the better so, I suppose a couple of onboard relays would be helpful.   Is there any certain unit you would recommend and why? Thanks in advance
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
auto or manual
boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
Auto trans. I'd also like it to have a timed aux output. My old unit had a 16 sec timed output that I used to turn on the headlights for 16 sec. This worked great when entering my dark garage at night or early morning to get in the car.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  

Your S-10 has no engine immobilizer but does have Type C door locks and (+) Parking Lights.  The Tach signal should be no problem for any remote starter as it's from the coil.

If you want a very basic D.I.Y. type unit that can handle those requirements ( including turning on the Parking Lights for 30 seconds with an unlock ) without any extra relays, get the Bulldog Security RS1200E.  Comes with two remotes and gives an honest 800 foot range.  The two draw backs to this unit are no horn honk confirmation and single button door lock/unlock( flip/flop) control.  The plus side is built in door lock relays and DIY support from the manufacturer.

The second choice would be an Ultra Start 1272XR-Pro and a DEI 451M relay pack.  Both are available "online" for $50 and $7 respectively.  This unit has better range and more programming options ( including turning on the Parking Lights for 15 seconds with unlock ).   Included are two solid remotes with separate lock & unlock buttons that give over 1000 feet of range.  It can be set for horn honk confirmation and has a windshield antenna that flashes twin blue LEDs when locked.  Slightly more complex and no DIY support from the manufacturer but well written install guide and easy programming thru the remotes.

Properly installed ( soldered connections, etc ) either system will give good service.  There should be other systems that have built in door lock relays but I am not familiar with them. 

Good Luck!

Soldering is fun!
monty_77 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
any remotes start with a programable output or attached to the unlock output and a DEI 528T should get you headlight control for up to 90 seconds
kel789 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
I have Ultra Start 1272XR-Pro installed. The new 1272 model has a better range of 2500 feet. It is probably 2000 feet in the city. It's a great keyless entry and remote start with a very good range. The remote is surprisingly a solid metal casing, rock feel. Simple for DIYers. You just need to tap all wires. There is no cutting on the starters. Parking Lights (-) or (+) is switchable. It has a tachless auto learn, no need to go into that harness and pull back 22 ga wire insulator. Use the Bulldog method if you don't want to solder. Vise-Grip has a confirmation press for connectors. There is no need to deal with the LED because it is on the antenna. I don't think there is anything more simpler than this installation.
monty_77 
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
even with the bulldog i would advise soldering unless you buy their harness kit thing
boomer_106 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestions. Very detailed. Great idea on that DEI 528T.  I will be soldering the connections. I should have probably said that I'm replacing my old Crimestopper 9629mx and RS 785 system that after approx 14 -15 yrs has failed.  I installed it so I don't anticipate a whole lot of trouble.  My old unit didn't have onboard relays for the door locks so I had to wire in relays which are still there. Piece of cake.   That system was an alarm too. The truck was much nicer back then :)     I don't need an alarm.  It's a work truck now. I like Crimestopper quite a bit. I also want an anti grind output like my old one had.

The Crimestopper RS-4 looks perfect except, no aux outputs. I'm thinking since it's a pickup, I don't need the trunk pop feature. I could use the trunk pop as an output to the DEI 528T for headlight control.   It also claims a 3000 ft range. I don't know about that??

The Ultra start mentioned looks good too. Does that tachless auto learn work well?  I certainly don't want to be grinding the starter because the unit has gotten the message that it's running. Like I've mentioned, I already have a tach wire on the old one so, been there, done that.

Anymore suggestions?   How about opinions on these 2 way paging systems? Do they work well?  More bells and whistles than one needs?

Edit:  Just noticed a great price on that RS-4   http://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-RS-4-Remote-Keyless-Diesel/dp/B001Q4C2P0

monty_77 
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
i really like the two ways. don't have to look at vehicle to see if it running and got the message. it comes to the remote.
in my opinion it worth the extra cash.
they have them for remote start only too
from what i have heard is that the virtual tachs work better then they did and a lot of people use them
but you already have a tach wire and don't need to get under hood to get it would be easy to attach the existing one.
kel789 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know how many have failed on the tachless mode. In your case, it does not matter since yours is wired. Ultra has the auto detect wired tach and tachless mode. It has 2 aux. 1 is for the trunk by default and can changed, not sure the limitation with the other aux.
2 way paging systems will cost more. It is usually packaged with added relays, shock sensor, siren and etc. There is no siren with 1272. You need to use the car horn (-) by the way. It is at the switch. You need to add a relay for using the a siren. It is hard to compare when paying more for more features. 1 LCD remote will run about $80 on ebay to $100 on official sites for brand name like Compustar and Viper, if you lose it or damaged it. Guess how I know. You can use the backup 1-way remote. If it is defective/damaged then it will run you about $40 to $50. Guess how I know again. Ultra was less than $50 with S/H for me.
It looks like a good deal with Crimestopper RS-4 on Amazon.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic