icon

2005 sebring coupe bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

So, I planned out my install for a 2005 Chrysler Sebring sedan, bought the bypass module- an Omega DB-CHDL-2p then drove 60 miles to do the job and found out it was a 2-d coupe- no big deal I figure- just switch to the proper wiring diagram for a coupe instead of a sedan.   Then comes time to program the bypass (as a third key) - no go- called tech assist- and I find out that this is  Mitsubishi system on a coupe, not a chrysler system-- my bypass will not work, unless I go to a dealer with a scan tool, to have it programmed..now I'm wized. What was supposed to be a 3 hr job has grown into a major headache.  I don't think it will work anyway, because I can't find a bypass for a 2005 Sebring Coupe listed that does not eat a key.  Is there such a thing?

Now what I have done is gone and had a key cut- as a "service" key-(no transponder inside) only does doors and turns ignition on.  My plan is to use one of the OEM keys in the box under the dash- and tell client that if and when he wants to start the car with the "service" key that he must remote start he car first. My testing says this will work as long as I trigger the key sense when no key is in ignition.  Also this system does not work if two keys are seen at the same time- so no remote starting with the other OEM key in the ignition-  which is no big deal.  The transponder need only to be active during the start mode, the service key works fine once vehicle is started.

The tech assist guy suggested I find a locksmith to "clone" one of the OEM keys- A clone is a key with exact rf frequency as one of the OEM keys, and put it in a box under the dash- thereby not needing to program (go to a dealership- to use their scan tool) a third key.  Is there such a way to clone keys?  are there people who do it? 

The few locksmiths I called said they could make a new key- but some were $75 and some were $175-- way too much- they were not familiar with the term "cloned" key.  Thanks for any input you professionals have.. 

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2011 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
The options offered will vary by locksmith, cloning an existing key is one, some have the ability to do the same thing as a dealer and program a new one.
There are no bypasses for the coupe that I am aware of that do not consume a key.
Your idea of using a U with the key, remote starting and using a non-chipped key for take-over should work fine. I have had to do this for a few cars that the owner did not want to buy a new key for. Heck, I have setup 556U's by themselves for people that lost one key and refused to pay for a new chipped key...turns on with brake pedal, use standard $3.00 key. Kills security in the vehicle, but it's what they want, so it's what they get.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
you can get a TBXKEY and RFLUB pretty cheap. You would have to pay the dealer to program the RFLUB but it may be cheaper than buying the key
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
the rflub does not come with a transponder you have to use one that is all ready programed. cut it out of the key and place it in the rflub.
if the person has two working keys you can program a new key to the vehicle
here are two site that sell the key with instruction, get the key do not cut it and jumper the ignition for the final step.
2 door Coupe key
another place for key

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic