icon

amp testing methods

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2011 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
Can someone please take a look at the figures and methods used on these bench tests and convey their opinion as is to if they feel that its valid or not?
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/30180-uniform-amp-clamp-test/
This is what I do for FUN!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2011 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
Assuming sinewave (else true-RMS clamps) and that only one polarity is feed thru the current clamp, it shows the volt/current output for a whatever signal input at whatever gain at whatever dc voltage.
It still amazes me that amps with their SMPS are so dependent on input voltage for max output power!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2011 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  

I would be curious to find out how they "Calculated" the impedance of the speakers.  Impedance fluctuates drastically depending on frequency and box tuning.  I just went back and looked at the numbers.  They only read voltage and used the speakers impedance to get the rest of the numbers.  A 4 ohm speaker at resonance will read much higher than 4 ohms.  Hence much less current than they came up with. 

I am wondering why they calculated the current when they have a clampmeter connected to the wire.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2011 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Not that I checked, but I assumed he used V/I - ie, rms impedance.
And maybe I should check it all again - I thought they were MEASURED values to provide 50Hz power & impedance.
(As to why and why not (say) 2 test frequencies & if 50Hz was not resonant etc, and not test distortion, closed/open environment....)
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2011 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Its the validity of the resulting wattage that concerns me...   I'm failing to see the mathematical proof of the values they are stating.
This is what I do for FUN!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic