icon

passlock bypassed with resistor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ernmang2 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2011 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, I bypassed the passlock on my 2000 yukon due to intermitend no starts with the resistor method and it starts up every time no problem but the security light is staying on

any ideas??????

Thanks

brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2011 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Probably because it "sees" the resistance in every key position, including "off" now....  Did you activate the resistor during "on" and "start" and have it not be on while in "off"?
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
ernmang2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2011 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
I cut the yellow wire while it was runnig... and soldered the resitor in between the stripped back orange and black wire, to the truck side yellow wire all done while truck was running.
ernmang2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2011 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

I thick I should have cut the yellow wire with the vehicle NOT running, thats the resistor method.

If you cut it while running it puts the system into a full blow dissable mode and security light stays on.

now does anyone know if I get the codes cleared will it then start looking at the resistor. or is this computer unable to reset??

can I just disconnect the batt.

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2011 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
what resistance value did you use? did you even meter it? and use that resistance?
pretty sure at this point if you unhook the battery it wont start.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
ernmang2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2011 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
2.2k resister... I had the
Batt. Off for a couple minutes and it started right up (prob not long enough)
I don't think it's looking at the resister at all at this point, from what I have been reading I am in full bypass after cutting the yellow while running. Light will stay on.
I think I need to clear faults and let the vehicle learn the new resistance value....
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
the vehicle doesnt learn resistance. you have to measure the resistance that it needs, use that resistor and wire it up with a relay that is only on during crank
ernmang2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Thx, I thought it learned? I did an s10 and just wired in the resister...
Would you have a schematic of the resister/relay setup you could send me?
Thanks,
Can I put in a 555 module or something.. for this without doing a full remote start?
jseibold 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

I have used the method you are describing too many times to count.  Here is how I have always done it:

With the vehicle running, cut the yellow wire (the security light will come on).  put the red lead of your meter on the cut yellow wire (key side) and your black meter lead on the ORANGE / black.  Record the resistance.  Then flip flop your meter leads putting the black lead on the cut yellow wire and the red lead on the ORANGE / black.  Record the resistance.  The 2 resistance values may be different.  Go with the higher value and make sure you use a resistor or combination of resistors that is right on the higher value. 

Then do just as you have: 

hard wire the resistor permanently accross the ORANGE / black and vehicle side of the yellow wire.  You should not need a relay and it will not matter if the resistor is hardwired even without the key on.

I'm thinking that your current resistor is not the correct value and that is why your security light is on.  As far as the reference to only having resistor on during crank, that applies to Passlock 1 (along with bulb test wire) and your truck has Passlock 2

ernmang2 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thats how I have done other vehicles, if I were off by that much on the resister I would think it would not start.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic