icon

new avh p4300dvd and multiple relays?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clsmith 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Just picked up a Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD for my 08 Honda Ridgeline. The previous setup was using the stock radio as an AUX-in to an aftermarket single-din deck mounted below it. I'm also running two amps.
The issue I'm looking at is that the P4300 has 1 'remote on' wire and that's it (no separate power antenna wire)! The antenna will need to be powered as it's amplified. So now there are 3 devices that will need to be powered on by the remote wire. That usually means a relay right? I'd also like to do the parking brake bypass so that's another relay.
I don't know why but that seems odd to me. Am I missing something?
Also, the +12v for the first relay, does it have to come from the battery or is it safe to tap off the 12v lead from the radio harness?
Thanks.
cls
nday 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2011 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Couldn't you just tap power for the antenna into an accessory circuit?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  
Most modern day amplifiers require less than 20milliamps of current on the remote wire. A relay draws 160milliamps. I have not yet checked an amplified antenna, but I can not imagine it drawing more than the 120milliamps that would get it to the 160 that the relay draws.
iand1234 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
i would just run a new constant from the fuse box for the relay. unless car is under warranty or something. its cleaner looking that way. :) why would you wanna bypass parking brake? if you get pulled and they see device on its a nice sized ticket. just run another tv to glove box or back of the car or something. its also reckless driving in most states and that can be, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, mom come bail me out so i can go to work tmw.
zombies will eat your brains if not decapitaded first
nbahoopstar 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Although I am not condoning using a bypass(as I just had one installed today and love it) . Allows the wife to watch DVDs on long trips using auxiliary headphone jack on front of avh-p5000dvd if she wants. Check Radio Shack for an item number 275-1565 switch ($3.00 locally). Search forums for detailed instructions and you will find how simple it really is. Hope this helps. With the push of the switch button you can use the factory settings non-operable while driving)or push again and enjoy your DVD anytime.new avh p4300dvd and multiple relays? -- posted image.
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
clsmith 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
nbahoopstar wrote:
...Allows the wife to watch DVDs on long trips...
Exactly what I'm doing it for!   
nbahoopstar wrote:
Check Radio Shack for an item number 275-1565 switch ($3.00 locally). Search forums for detailed instructions and you will find how simple it really is. Hope this helps...new avh p4300dvd and multiple relays? -- posted image.
Thanks! I will definitely check it out.
cls

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic