the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp cutting out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rboutin2 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, here is my setup : 2 12" 2010 model type r's (600 rms each) in a custom ported downfired 2 cb ft per chamber box tuned to 32 hz.. Orion xtrpro 2400 amp. stinger 12 farad capacitor, ebay 250 amp HO alternator, 0 gauge wire from battery to cap, dual 4 ga from cap to amp (2 grnd, 2 pwr.). 0 gauge ground from battery to block, block to frame. 4 gauge from HO to battery.  Subs are wired to 2 ohms load at the amp. Alpine cd player with ipod. All of this in a 95 ford ranger 3.0 v6. Okay, so heres my problem. My amp was always cutting out, so i replaced my stock alternator with a 250 amp HO from ebay. I put it in, and the amp still cuts out. It doesnt do it on any particular freq of bass. Bass songs tend to play longer than just music. Idle or revved, dont make a difference. The 0 gauge power wire on the input of the cap, and the 4 gauge leaving the cap get pretty hot too, but ground doesnt even change. Do I have a bad cap? I checked for shorts, and found nothing. Please reply quickly, i only have 7 days to return alternator if thats the prob. The cap has an ammeter on it, and it says im pullin around 150 amps fully cranked. No clipping either. volts drop to around 11 to 12.5 but most of the time stay around 13.
Disturbin' Tha Peace
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2011 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2011 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

Resistance = Heat.  You have a bad connection on a ring terminal or a loose screw at the capacitor.

rboutin2 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2011 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so apparently today one of my subs cut out. I pulled it out to fijnd out whats wrong, and inside the vent hole of ym type r, i saw the voice coil windings. It also had a crack in the spider, im assuming where the tinsel leads used to be. So, i pulled the other one, and its coil was still fine, in fact it was still beating good, but it had a crack ijn the spider in the exact same spot as the other one., they are still under warranty, do you think alpine is gna repair them? Or are they gna pull the abuse/overpower card? Also, what would cause this other than overpowering, i swear i wasnt pushing mroe than 1500 rms to the pair tops. thye hand 1200 rms total. And they never once bottomed out. I heard a kinda scratchy noise when i played like a mid bas, like 40-60 hz i think. they hit the lows with no probs at all. Also, if i dont have a good ground from the cab to the frame, could that cause my caps power wire to heat up?
Disturbin' Tha Peace
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2011 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
Unless the speakers are defective the only thing that will cause the damage you see is overheating due to over power.  I will still bet you a donut your gain was way too high and the amplifier was clipping and overpowering the speakers.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic