icon

best amp for my subs? and what freq?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssgtmoose 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I am getting 4 Sundown Audio SA-8s. That much is for sure. However, I don't know what amp would be best for these subs. I want to get the most from the subs. They come in dual 2ohm & dual 4ohm voice coil. I am going to base which I choose off what configuration is best for what I want. I want to run them at the lowest possible ohm. I'm thinking 4x dual 2ohm wired with a mix of series and parallel to 1 ohm (think my math is correct). I like the SAZ-1500D, but it's a bit pricey. So the HFI-1500D comes to mind. Both are 1ohm stable if I'm not mistaken. What amp/sub configuration would be best? Also, I can't decide on what frequency to tune my custom ported box to. I have figured out what I want and it will be a single square(ish) box with all four subs on top. 4 ft^3 (3.9 something with subs and cylindrical braces), I can figure out what type of port to put in it but I can't decide on a freq. I like it low and it's in a van so theres definitely room for air to move.
Sorry it ended up being so long winded, I tried to get everything out in one post. So, I guess, what amp/configuration would be best and what freq? Thank you for your help.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Moose
USMC RET, 2x Iraq Vet
ssgtmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
I listed the HFI1500D as a potential amp, I was mistaken. It would take two of them to get what I want, then it throws off the configuration. I have done some digging and decided that either the SAZ-1500D or PA STAX5500/1D. The SAZ is 3000 max, but the STAX is 3200 max AND far cheaper. I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but I think the STAX would suffice.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Moose
USMC RET, 2x Iraq Vet
joe0428 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I own a Sundown 3k and absolutely love it. So as far as my .02 I would put the money down and get the Sundown but honestly IMO the power acoustic is sub par with inflated power ratings and I wouldn't buy an amp from them ever. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
The lower the tuning the lower the bass. Really depends on what type of music you listen to as well. 26-33hz is pretty low and is good for sq. Hope that helps, as far as the wiring, this site has a great subwoofer wiring chart. Good luck bud.
ssgtmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Joe, I am glad to hear a good review of the 3k. I think I will splurge on it now. I have slowly been realizing the same about PA, they don't have the fuses required for the amount of power claimed, dead giveaway.
Custom Bass, I prefer to listen to hip hop with extremely low bass. I am thinking 32-33hz.
Ok, so I've got the freq picked. Now, 1 port, 2 ports, square port, round port, small port, big port, or my favorite, "The Bass Tunnel". I can tune the basic ones, but have any of you had experience with multiple types of ports? Also, when length is referred to, is that the total length of the port, or only the portion that sticks out from the box? I've seen ports that have "elbows" and bend in them too. I assume this has a major effect on the sound, none of which I know anything about. I want crisp response and hard hits, but am also interested in creative ways to express myself in my box. (Give it that extra touch) And by touch, I mean like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMY6rEHhOe4 Now I've seen pics of similar kind of systems but that is touch. I love how he creates his box and in turn the port system. But that is no where near what I'm doing. Just basic 4 ft^3 Ported box.
The van is a 1993 Ford Aerostar XLT AWD, 8 passenger (removed 3rd row seat for new box and floor. Should I port it to the rear? Or do you have any creative porting ideas? I'm relatively new to this so I'm definitely a novice, but I'm sure the "Pros" here have some crazy ideas. best amp for my subs? and what freq? -- posted image.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Moose
USMC RET, 2x Iraq Vet
joe0428 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2011 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
I really can't point you in the right direction for a creative box design because I prefer clean and simple. I also prefer sealed over ported but that's just me. I really like circle/round/flared ports because they eliminate port noise they are pretty simple to install and to me they offer a different sound over slots (not sure how to describe it though). From what I read you do lots of research which is a great way to learn so just keep searching and you should find what you want to build. PS I second the plus or minus 30hz tuning although if this is a spl build I would tune to about 38hz which is still quite low. Also I prefer ports to fire in the same direction as the speaker. Hope this helps. Joe
ssgtmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
Once again, Thank you Joe. I also prefer a sealed box, but the SA-8s require a ported box. I do do a lot of research, and absolutely love the12volt.com. I have been a member for 7 yrs now but lost access to my original email address, and can no longer access my former 12volt account. I am thinking about porting with 2x 4.5" wide ports or 3x 3" ports all facing forward. However, if I port in different directions will that 'fill' the vehicle or hinder the waves? I can argue both points in my head. Just got a foot of snow in the past few days. Looks like my project is on hold for now... best amp for my subs? and what freq? -- posted image.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Moose
USMC RET, 2x Iraq Vet
ssgtmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Joe, what model is your 3k? Is it the 1500D, 2500D or 3500D? I've seen the 1500D listed @ 3k max, however the Sundown website also mentions dual mono when it lists 3k. I'm thinking that means the amp is 1.5k max alone and 3k max when bridged with another of the same model. Am I correct on that one or am I missing something?
Semper Fi,
SSgt Moose
USMC RET, 2x Iraq Vet
ssgtmoose 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
So I think I'm gonna have to go up to either the 2500D or the 3500D. That is a huge jump. I can't believe I missed this one yesterday.
Semper Fi,
SSgt Moose
USMC RET, 2x Iraq Vet
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
I'm wondering why you are of the mistaken belief that running an amplifier at it's lowest stable impedance is a good thing...
What I guess I am really asking is this: why is an amplifier that is 1-ohm stable and run at 1-ohm a "better" amplifier than is a 2-ohm stable amplifier and run at 2-ohms?
It's more expensive... True this. It's less efficient... Also true. Generally it has a lower damping factor. Generally the THD is higher. These are all bad things, IMO... Think about it this way: if you have a 1-ohm stable amplifier putting out 1000W into a 1-ohm load, and you have a 2-ohm stable amplifier putting out 1000W into a 2-ohm load, what's the difference? WHY is one better than the other?
More bad news, amigo... I looked up the T/S parameters for those woofers... Not good. The inductance of the voice coils will NOT allow a terribly "fast" experience. Oh... You thought just because they were 8" woofers they would be fast? Nope. Inductance is a FAR more critical specification... Want more bad news? With an Fs of 44Hz, they are NEVER going to go deep. Ever. Even in an infinite baffle, thay'd be HARD pressed to discover 40Hz. Hardly "deep" in my book.
Reading your posts, I think those are NOT good woofers for your listening tastes...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic