icon

switched 12v distribution

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zerovandez 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'm wanting to put together some kind of Ignition/Accessory 12v distro block. Is it as easy as finding an ignition/accessory wire and running to lets a a fused distro block?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Provided that ign/acc source powers a relay (etc, through diodes if they are joined), then yes....
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Any tips or diagrams on how to acomplish this? How many relays?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Just one relay.
Try looking at Relays above or under the many diagrams...
Or search.
Otherwise you'll have to wait for me....
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2011 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

I'll look at the relay diagrams above. I've worked with them before when I added accessories to my alarm system just never really understood them. I've searched regarding this topic but came up short. Maybe I'm using the wrong key words? I don't post until I've exhausted my searching abilities.

It would be very nice if you can assist me with wiring the relay and also provide a few links for good fused distro boxes. Thanks!

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
The wait was shorted than expected...
switched 12v distribution -- posted image.
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks a million! Just a few questions if you don't mind. For pole 30, would I need to install an inline fuse like a do a car stereo amplifier? What size fuse? For 87; I should be able to connect that to a fuse box that has multiple connections for accessories right?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Yes....
You size the cable (30 & 87) to handle the maximum load current.
The #30 fuse is as near the battery +12V as possible/practicable and is sized to protect the wire or relay - whichever has the lowest current rating eg, if batt to #30 50A, relay is 30A, #87 to whatever is 40A, then fuse = 30A or less. (It can be eg 25A or 20A or 5A etc if that is still enough to handle the load.)
And yes - 87 can go to anything - an amp &/or other loads &/or a fuse box etc.
I assume your "fuse box that has multiple connections for accessories" is your own box & accessories. IE - you aren't cross connecting normal car accessories that should be off when cranking nor interconnecting IGN & ACC power.
Remember - a fuse protects the smallest thing DOWNSTREAM (cable, switch, relay) until the NEXT fuse which then protects its downstream stuff.
Equipment should have its own protective fuse, though there is no reason that any upstream fuse cannot be the same size... EG - a 20A amp could have a 20A (or 25A etc) battery fuse even if all upstream stuff handle 100A (100A cables & relay etc). Or is that too confusing? (It's just that if only using 20A through the circuit, why have an (expensive?) 100A or 80A fuse just because the cable etc is 100A. (It may be overrated to reduce voltage drops, or for FUTURE expansion which is when you would substitute appropriate fusing.
(But the battery fuse & cable & relay must handle to TOTAL load if multiple loads are fed.)
zerovandez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I understood you completely. For #86 on the relay, can this be fed with the remote wire from the head unit?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2011 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  
The HU remote can feed it assuming it too is +12V (for on) and that it also goes through a diode if other inputs (#86 triggers) are connected.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic