icon

3 ohm components, 2 ohm amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drummerdude 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

I have a ton of gift cards to future shop (they replaced a very expensive computer). I would like to get some of my car audio stuff there to try and save as much money as possible.

here are the parts I will be using:

Front doors - Precision Power PC3.65C 3 ohm (per voice coil) component speakers (100w RMS)
Rear Doors - Precision Power PC.52 3 ohm (per voice coil) 2-way coaxial speakers (100w RMS)

I would like to get my amps at future shop, but to get the right sized amp, I need to know what power rating to go by (I know RMS, I mean 2 ohm or 4 ohm)?

The speakers are 3 ohms, and the amps are under powered at 4 ohms (only 50w RMS), but are perfect at 2 ohms (100w RMS), which numer do I go by? Should I run one of those amps per channel or 2? optimally I would love to run the 4 channel version (same ratings but into 4 channels) and put it under the passenger seat.

I am not going for excessive volume, just a good quality sound at a decent volume (99% of the time there will be 2 children in the car, thus the lack of need for excessive volume). I am only concerned about the front speakers, rears are not as important. Obviously I would prefer a better suited amp, but I already have the gift cards, so it's kind of like being free.

The amp I am looking at is an MTX Jackhammer (202 or 404)

Thanks for the help

I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
An amplifer's load rating is the LOWEST impedance it can handle.  Any load greater than that is fine.
Support the12volt.com
drummerdude 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
will the mtx jackahmmer 404 handle those speakers fine? I figure 50w RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms and 100w RMS x 4 @ 2 ohms, those 3 ohm speakers should see around 75w RMS? or am I out to lunch?
I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Don't worry about the power rating you will be fine.  Just be sure to set your gain properly.
Support the12volt.com
drummerdude 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

well, last night I got carried away looking at a online mobile electronics warehouse, and a couple of 5 channel amps caught my eye:

MBquart ONX4.80/500  $315 shipped ($799 retail)

• 4 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan. + 250 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 120 watts x 4 chan. + 375 watts x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm: 500 watts x 1 chan. (5th Channel Only)
  • Amplifier Class AB
    Number of Channels 5
    RMS Power (4 ohms) 60 watts x 4 chan. + 250 watts x 1 chan.
    RMS Power (2 ohms) 120 watts x 4 chan. + 375 watts x 1 chan.
    RMS Power (1 ohm) 500 watts x 1 chan. (5th Channel Only)
    Bridged RMS Power 240 watts x 2 channels
    Total RMS Power Output 980 watts
    Peak Power Output N/A
    Total Peak Power Output N/A
    Maximum Input Gauge Size 2
    Minimum Impedance Unbridged 1 ohms
    Minimum Impedance Bridged 4 Ohms
    THD at Rated RMS Power 0.05%
    Speaker Level Inputs Yes
    Preamp Outputs 1 pair
    Built-in Crossover Low-pass (LP), High-pass (HP)
    High-Pass Crossover Frequency 10 - 15,000 Hz
    Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 30 - 150 Hz
    Subsonic Filter N/A
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio >92 dB
    Channel Separation >80 dB
    Bass Boost 0 - 10 dB
    Bass/Gain Remote Yes

Cadence ZRS-C8 $320 shipped ($599 retail)

• 4-ohm RMS Power: 150W x 4 + 400W x 1
  • 2-ohm RMS Power: 200W x 4 + 600W x 1
  • which would be better suited to me? The MBquart is the better deal money wise, how about sound quality/features wise?

The MB is stable to 1 ohm for the 5th channel, and would run the 1 10" kicker sub I am planning on using perfectly. but the cadence has much higher wattage for the 4 channels?

drummerdude 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: April 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
    If I go with the Cadence, I can get a deal on a set of 140w rms 6.5/4/1 components.
    drummerdude 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: April 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

I will have to change subs with the cadence as well, sorry for the extra posts.

drummerdude 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: April 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
    no opinions on these 5 channel amps, or just a little shy to chime in?
    smalltime80 
    Member - Posts: 8
    Member spacespace
    Posted: April 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
    Hey, the 5 channels are a great way to go if you're trying to run a modest system a car. Sounds like you're trying to be frugal about this and knowing MB Quart more than Cadence, I would go with the MB Quart. Sounds like it will fit your plans and it will feed your interior speakers at 3 ohms rather well.
    Also, I've tried to live by a rule of not running more than 800 watts total inside a car that has a stock charging system so if you're not interested in doing those upgrades as well, I'd recommend sticking with the MB Quart.
    Nick C.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic