icon

4 new lock actuators in a ’98 volvo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blankenship 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2011 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I own a '98 Volvo V70 4-door and the locks are going out. You can read more about the diagnosis http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?156449-door-LOCKS-what-the-heck-is-going-on, but I've been told I need to replace all 4 lock actuators with the OEM units (that cost $135 each) (!).
I'd love to avoid spending that kind of cash, and in my search came across http://www.volvo-forums.com/t17967-cheap-diy-repairs.htm which leads me to believe there are other options with aftermarket units. The guy in that post used some "Direct" units for his 2-door car, so the install is different (plus, I can't make sense of the photos he provided).
Can anybody advise on what I should do?
My current guess is to buy a setup like THIS ONE (that includes a couple 5-wire units) on eBay, and that I'll also need to install some sort of relay (like a DEI 451M (?)). If that's the case, I could do this all myself for $40, instead of spending $540.
Would really appreciate some thoughts and/or resources...
blankenship 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2011 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
That eBay link was suppossed to go http://cgi./524K-Power-Door-Lock-Kit-4-Door-524N-524F-NEW-/250759205301
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
You need to change all of the locks. The 5 wires worry me because the factory wiring may be different I suggest using a dedicated timer relay NOT a 451 with them
blankenship 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
So maybe the thing to do is use (4) of the 524N's so they are all small and slim, and are just 2-wire reversing polarity motors?
The Volvo Forum poster said (in a different post) that he never tested to see, but it could be that the stock actuators are indeed already a reverse polarity setup. So could be that I don't need a relay? Anybody know?
Is there a reason to use a dedidicated timer relay rather than the 451M with the 524N's? Will I need (1), (4), or none of each?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
On aftermarket actuators, if you use 5 wires, they are a motor and a switch. Depending on whether up or down, one of the "trigger" wires s ALWAYS grounded, therefore your control relay is always engaged = flat battery in 10 hours or less, thus use a timer.
One 5 wire motor used will need the timer relay. Spal and MES* both sell kits with timer relays and spurs for negative "triggering" such as from an alarm. They also sell the timer relays separately.
So yes you could use 4 x 2 wire + a 451, no problems assuming the factory triggering is neg,(I haven't checked) or you have an AFTERMARKET alarm. Don't forget the tailgate/trunk lid.
DON'T use a 5 wire in each front door as masters, just the two. Unless you mount both perfectly, you will find the doors unlock as soon as you lock one of them.
Size doesn't matter, all Euro door locks have the same mounting.
*MES, they possibly make the DEI units are the best quality.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
OK, easier than I thought you CAN use the factory looms, you shouldn't need ANY relays, assuming you have 5 wires in each front door, one will be a constant ground, two will go to ground, either when the motor is "up" or "down"; these are the "trigger" wires. The last 2, will be at ground till you lock the car then one of them will show 12v+; vice versa when you unlock. These are the motor wires.
The back doors will just have the last 2 (the motor) wires).
blankenship 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
OK, easier than I thought you CAN use the factory looms, you shouldn't need ANY relays
Hey Howie- Does this mean you did some checking after your 6:47 post and found that these Volvo's do have a reverse polarity setup so I don't need relays? I've yet to disassemble a door and look...and I don't have a wiring diagram yet, 4 new lock actuators in a ’98 volvo -- posted image. so I have no idea how many wire there are in the front doors...
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
If by reverse polarity you mean the motor wires, no. The triggers are negative. All the actual motor wires are reverse polarity, at least all permanent magnet motors are whether it's a cordless drill, an electric window motor or a door lock.
I think you're confused about the wiring. Get some info first then go and re-read my previous post. I'm already thinking don't do this yourself.
blankenship 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2011 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Ye of little faith.
I'll pop the door panel off soon and do some research.
I'm capable, I've just never done this sorta thing before.
Thanks, Howie...hope you'll check back in with me when I've got an update.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2011 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged  
Sure but your comments on polarity reversal worry me! Just open the driver's door panel, look at the motor wiring, tell me what you see and the colours, then we will take it from there.
It's not little faith its just don't jump to conclusions! If there are 5 wires to each front door and 2 to each back, its easier than you think!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic