icon

latched on/off momentary w/ brake kill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
airticulated 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
I am wiring a manual torque converter lock up switch for my tow vehicle. This is normally a simple task. One wire in the transmission solenoid is tapped and grounded manually with a toggle to lock the t/c. A 3.3 ohm resistor gets wired in line as to not trip a check engine light. Piece of cake. Why do it the easy way I say?
What I want is to create a latched relay so I can lock and unlock the t/c with a momentary button. While the t/c is locked I want a led to light up. If the t/c is locked and I hit the brake I want it all to turn off.
I know it is possible but my brain isn't functioning as it should currently so I have turned to the pros here. I have used your diagrams many times,and love the site. Long time guest first time poster! About time I say.
Can someone post up a diagram to clear my cobwebs! Thanks in advance.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
Why not just a latching switch to control a normal relay?
Otherwise the following provides a toggle/latching signal, but you'd probably have to add a transistor etc to handle the relay's coil current....
latched on/off momentary w/ brake kill -- posted image.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

Help me understand this better.

The way I took it you actually have two switches.

One to set the lock ( a Pushbutton ) and the Break switch to Unlock.

An Led lights when you push the button and it goes off when you push the break switch with your foot

Am I missing something?

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
airticulated 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
You have it correct except i would like to be able to turn it on and off with the momentary button (lighting the led when its on) The brake shuts it off in case I forget to do it manually
airticulated 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
Basically one way to turn it on (button) and 2 ways to turn it off. (button or brake)
airticulated 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
So what are you thinking? I am hoping to get this wrapped up and installed this weekend.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2011 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  

Two Push buttons  and the break switch would be easier

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
airticulated 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply hotwater. I will fall back to 2 buttons if i cant make 1 work. Keep in mind the input that the system needs to lock the t/c is a ground not 12v.
airticulated 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have a diagram for-
Latched On/Off Output Using a Single Momentary Negative Pulse - Negative Output
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2011 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
The following are almost equivalent latching relay circuits but for +12V output.
To [i[]invert for a grounded output, a second SPST relay would be added to the output - ie, ouptut to #86; ground to #85 & #30m with #86 being the grounded output when the first relay is latched.
The circuit diagram shows a pump as the output whereas the wiring diagram shows the +12V output with the pump omitted, and includes an optional Normally Closed momentary switch to break the circuit if wanting to do so without removing the main +12V power.
FYI - the two +12V sources in the first circuit diagram can be the same (as indicated by the dashed interconnection in the second wiring diagram). It was drawn as two separate +12V sources to highlight that they could be independent.   
And there is still the previous "Toggle Switch" using inverters which could control a relay of either polarity.
It should be easy to add a pulse- or switch-off (from a brake switch) since a hex inverter IC will have 4 unused inverters and quad NOR or NAND ICs will have 2 spare gates, but I haven't worried about that for lack of response.
And yes - the +V and GND power connections to <whatever> gates (inverting, NAND, NOR) are not shown, but they are usually pins #14 and #7 on hex inverters and quad-gate Integrated Circuits.
(We should be using an 8-pin PIC - so much easier circuit-wise!)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic