icon

midrange boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kemoz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys, i was wondering, anyone knows how to build a good midrange box? I got two 10 inch and two 8 inch 18sound mis-range speakers, but i cant build a proper box for them, thing is i need to get the maximum out of the speakers, i need to find out if there is any special arangement to build a box  with regards to frequency response ect, also i'd like some feed back on flare boxes. thanks
PS: here are the link for the speakers :
http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=225
&
http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=229
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
"but i cant build a proper box for them"
What does this mean? You can't calculate the volume? You can't build one because you don't have space? What...?
What are you doing with these? Are they for a car application? (ew... just ew...) A PA system? A home system?
A little more info, please? Generally speaking, mid-range drivers need a simple enclosure behind them - a sealed box is fine in nearly all cases. Be sure to damp the interior well with approximately .5 pounds of dacron stuffing per cubic foot of volume (this is about 8 grams per liter for you...) to prevent back wall reflections from smearing your front wave emissions.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kemoz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

its for my car, not for bass, i have 2 12 re sx in the back, these are just for mid-range, but the thing is im not sure how to build the box, do i just build any box and drop them in? and i heard that the biger the box the lower the mid-range frequency, not sure if thats a stupid statement, thing is i need to get these speakers playing as loud as posible and i would be switching them to the home system from time to time, you have any informaion about those mid-range boxes with the flare build infront the speaker ? thanks.

kemoz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
oh and i can calculate the volume just i cant set a proper frequency, apparently box design has alot to do with that.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
No matter WHAT type of enclosure you put those drivers in, if you get to anywhere close to the 80-100Hz range on the bottom end, I'd be surprised... VERY surprised. Simply due to the diameter of the drivers, I certainly hope that you aren't planning on running them over 500Hz or so on the top end, as well... They're gonna beam like NOBODY'S business. With a very narrow bandwidth like that, enclosure is going to have little to nothing to do with the way they sound. They're going to sound terrible. End of story. They just will.
In the car, those are going to sound like absolute sh*&, and I do mean that, in every respect of the word. Those are PA drivers, and are meant for far-field sound reproduction, and SPL is their primary goal; they are built with zero regard for sound QUALITY. What this means is you'll get a TON of noise, but it's going to sound AWFUL!
As far as a flare... Are you asking about a horn loaded mid-range? If so, no, I have no experience with such an enclosure. I know they're huge, and getting a horn for an 8" driver into the car will be a MONSTER undertaking, let alone the 10" driver, ESPECIALLY if you want to get even close to that 80Hz range. The lower the frequency, the bigger the horn. Physics, baby. What made you decide these were the drivers you wanted to use IN A CAR? You are WAY off base here. They'll WORK, but they are going to be so far from optimal, you'll never get them to sound anywhere close to BAD, let alone great.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kemoz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm . what would you recomend for me ?
KyferEz 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
What are you looking to accomplish? Loud mids? Or are you trying to use what you got?
kemoz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
loud mids, if i can i would use what i got, if i cant, teach me something new
kemoz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
No matter WHAT type of enclosure you put those drivers in, if you get to anywhere close to the 80-100Hz range on the bottom end, I'd be surprised... VERY surprised. Simply due to the diameter of the drivers, I certainly hope that you aren't planning on running them over 500Hz or so on the top end, as well... They're gonna beam like NOBODY'S business. With a very narrow bandwidth like that, enclosure is going to have little to nothing to do with the way they sound. They're going to sound terrible. End of story. They just will.
In the car, those are going to sound like absolute sh*&, and I do mean that, in every respect of the word. Those are PA drivers, and are meant for far-field sound reproduction, and SPL is their primary goal; they are built with zero regard for sound QUALITY. What this means is you'll get a TON of noise, but it's going to sound AWFUL!
ok just run me tru 2 things,
1) whats the diameter of the speaker has to do with loudness or clarity ?
2) spl is their primary goal? i thought spl was dealing with sound presure lvl ?
KyferEz 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well, simply looking at the Frequency response of the driver in the 30Liter box they used for the 10s, it's 10dB down at about 150Hz, which is less than 1/8 the volume... Usually you consider the cutoff to be 3dB down, so if you did that you would say the usable frequency range of the speaker at the low end is above 300Hz and due to the beaming haemphyst mentioned, the top end will be 500Hz. That's a narrow response.
I didn't know what he meant by beaming off-hand (and this answers #1), but it basically means the sound is extremely directional; "beamed" directly in front of the speaker such that sound levels drop off steeply when off-axis, which is really unacceptable for a car. It has to do with the frequency being played vs the size of the driver. So the 8s will beam a little less, but also are less capable on the low-end. Some drivers will have less of a problem with this than others.
Q 2) Yes, it does. These are designed for high spl midrange frequencies for studio or concert hall type applications.
Here's my recommendation: build the 10s in a small sealed box (~ 1 cubic foot per speaker) and use an electronic crossover to low-pass them and play with the low-pass crossover from 500Hz to 2000Hz and see how they sound to you in car... They won't have a hard midrange kick, and you will need drivers to pick up the higher frequencies they will miss, but you might find them acceptable to use in a multi-driver setup. Paired with some 5" midranges and a tweeter, they could be loud and acceptable...
What else have you tried for loud mids? If nothing else, let me first say that power handling has nothing to do with actual capable volumes, if that's why you chose those. Maybe try these instead http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=296-430#Description or these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-045
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic