icon

safe to wire pin 30 to pin 86?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
madmanuser 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
so if i solder the diode to the pins, my socket will not slide all the way on. someone above suggested that i use a zip tie to make sure the socket doesnt fall off.
this will be fine right? even though the pins are not all the way in the socket?
The way I was going to do it is like in this thread linked here
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3237546
it is the first picture of the relay socket in the thread. I found it by luck searching diode relay socket.
If someone has a picture of what this should look like that would be great.
Thanks again
madmanuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
i was looking at the diode i bought right now and i forgot how small the "wires" are in diameter. should be fine. the socket will be about 95% on the pins. i will just wrap it around the pin and solder it.
btw - will the heat from my soldering iron damage anything on the relay?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 5:04 AM / IP Logged  
Not enough, you really need to install this in an epoxy sealed box conforming to IP 68.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2011 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  
Place the relay upside down on the edge of a table or bench.  Bend the legs of a 1 amp diode (1n4001)  lay the diode on the relay.  Solder the legs onto the base of the pin.  (Where the pin meets the plastic of the relay housing)  I have never had trouble with or had to worry about the socket going back on the relay.  You may want to use a Dremel tool and remove some plastic from the relay and the socket to make for a diode recessed half way into the relay and the other half will be inside the socket.
madmanuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
New question,
I was trying to figure out what size wire I should use for my 12v constant to my alarm and I noticed inconsistencies between many sources regarding the max current different sizes of wire can handle.
For instance I wanted to use a 16gauge wire for my 12v constant and the 12volt site has this guide:
https://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
And it says that 16 gauge can handle 15amps
But on another page, for example:
http://bcae1.com/wire.htm
it states the max current is 7.5.
Am I missing something? Please help me understand this safe to wire pin 30 to pin 86? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Why would you need to extend this wire?
These daft questions are really too anal and sooner or later no one's going to answer you, please use some common sense and think it through
madmanuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Why would you need to extend this wire?
These daft questions are really too anal and sooner or later no one's going to answer you, please use some common sense and think it through
Firstly, I am sorry to those who feel I am asking unnecessary questions. I only ask because I feel it's important.
I understand to an experienced person who deals with these things all the time it may seem anal, but I am still new to this.
I have made an honest attempt to figure out and research what size wire I need and I cannot get consistent information regarding what size.
I'm not sure how common sense will help with determining the wire size. For example with a powerful amp I cannot just use a small wire. There must be a way to figure out how much current certain size wires can handle.
If I was able to find a consistent answer as to the current diff size wires could handle I wouldn't have asked this question.
I am not extending any wires. Not sure where you got that from??
I need a 12v constant to my alarm. I simply searched which size wire I can use and the max current wires can hold.
Can you help me understand how this is too anal? I thought this would help others in the future.
madmanuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe you consider it anal because alarms require very little current and any size wire should work. If this is the case then I can understand. But I am just trying to follow things by the book.
safe to wire pin 30 to pin 86? - Page 3 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
If you aren't extending the wire why even ask the question?
Don't you think DEI has researched this more than you are I and have the answers.
For your general interest 16 gauge is perfectly adequate for all alarm wiring except remote start high power (high current) outputs.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
Try this wire amps and wire gauge-12 volt circuit. It took me two seconds to find this site via Google, just try wire gauges 12volts if the above doesn't get you in
You must do your own homework
Since we use metric here rather than US gauges, I'm guessing that most wiring on DEI product is 22 gauge with the exception of power, lighting and ground which are 18-20.
Over here DEI products have a 15-20 amp rating on the lighting circuit and 5 for the alarm
Don't forget those figures aren't continuous, an alarm draws about 30 milliamps at rest and about 1-15amps when triggered (including siren and lights).
You must do your own homework before asking these generally irrelevant questions.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic