the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need Head Unit advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Roman,
I have both the F340 (powering 4 infinity 3 ways and 2 tweeters) and the M300 (powering a Infinity Kapa Perfect DVC 10"), with a Alpine 7893 HU. Both amps sound great, I'm was amazed by the clearity of both. Next I'm looking at selling off the 7893 and getting a non-amplified mp3 HU. One thing to be carful is the alpine amps seem to hold a charge without being powered for a while. I had one sitting out for a couple days when putting in a new amp rack and when I was tightining down the power wire during reinstallation (which wasn't connected at the other end...) it arched to the case and left a tiny mark. Luckily the metal wire cover covers it up but still.
Allan.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
As far as RMS goes, every sub (or any speaker for that matter) has it's own rating from the manufacturer. A lot of entry level subs run around 100-200RMS. This does not make them necessarily bad subs, but they are certainly not the best either. The same goes on the opposite end as well, just because a sub has a 1000+ RMS rating does not necessarily make it top of the line. When you decide on a sub(s), you want to get an amp that can match the RMS rating (some can't afford it, but if you're serious then it's what you want to shoot for). If you have 2 subs that are 400RMS each, then you want an amp that is capable of producing at least 800 watts (which would give each sub at least 400RMS). You also have to take ohms into consideration. The model you mentioned (CVR124) is a 4ohm DVC sub. When wiring 2 of these subs together, you can achieve either a 1 or 4ohm total load. I've read that JBL amps are stable at 1ohm, and are a good investment. You could start with a JBL600.1 and push apx. 300RMS to each sub. You would be slightly underpowering them though. If you went with the CVR122 (2ohm DVC model) then you could achieve a 2ohm total load with 2 subs, and would probably have an easier time finding the proper amp as there are more Class D mono amps that are 2ohm stable than 1ohm stable. They're cheaper too, and you said you were on a budget (and there should not be any price difference between the CVR124's and CVR122's).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic